New here, new to VW's!

Started by rayar3, 12 July 2012, 18:38

Previous topic - Next topic

rayar3

In the middle of purchasing my first autostick, a marina blue 73 bug for my mom. It's for her b-day in October to replace her first car, a 72 marina blue autostick. Car is in ok original condition but has been in storage for a few years. Since I don't have experience with VW's I'm having a prebuy done by a very reputable VW guru this weekend. Only issue is that he doesn't have much experience with autosticks. The other 'little' issue is that I live in CT and the car is in Detroit. If/when I get it to CT does anyone know of any shops that can work on autosticks if any issues arrise?

Other than that I'll have the paint and interior redone (probably going to remain stock interior so any supplier suggestions would be great). It needs new seat covers, a radio, and a good cleaning. I'm not doing a full-on resto, just a nice driver like she had as a kid when my grandfather bought it for her. 

Of course I'll post a few pics once it's mine too. 
Ray

1971 Clementine Orange Super Beetle AS
1973 Marina Blue Beetle Sedan AS

squirrelly jim

Hey,
     It's one of those issue by issue things when you have any classic. Search old forum first and and if not there go to technical. 
71 AS Stock Beetle
"The machinations of my brain are an enigma"
(please bear with me)

71superAS

Welcome to owning a VW! The first thing you should know is that you should do all of the maintenance. Buy the orange Bentley manual and learn about the autostick, because no shops know how to work on them!

I just replaced my gearbox in my garage all by myself. It's not hard if you get the right tools. A metric wrench and socket set up to 24mm, a breaker bar, a torque wrench, a floor jack, jack stands, patience.

I don't have anything particularly special and it was fairly easy.

rayar3

I'll probably be doing a little bit on it but honestly if I find a local place that works on them they will get my business...I'm on a time constraint to get this car done by October and I want it right and since I don't have a garage myself it's not like I can bring it to my parents house and wrench on it without my mother finding out! That and I travel for work half a month at a time!

Soo anyone know any shops in the CT MA area? Or parts places, etc?
Ray

rayar3

Everyone likes pictures so here ya go:

Ordered the Bentley manual, should be here before the car arrives. Jig is up on surprising my mom too, so since I don't have a garage at my house I'll be storing it there!  ;D Now I've got a work space since most of my tools are still there anyway! Fuel system and ignition is the first order of business, along with figuring out the best way to restore the paint. PO spot primed a few areas and I was told that the original paint is too nice to waste and that it could be saved.

Anyone know if the Bentley manual specifies the proper size for the soft lines like fuel, vacuum, and autostick vacuum lines? And anyone know a good source for them?
Ray

68autobug

Quote from: 71superAS on 13 July 2012, 17:20
Welcome to owning a VW! The first thing you should know is that you should do all of the maintenance. Buy the orange Bentley manual and learn about the autostick, because no shops know how to work on them!

I just replaced my gearbox in my garage all by myself. It's not hard if you get the right tools. A metric wrench and socket set up to 24mm, a breaker bar, a torque wrench, a floor jack, jack stands, patience.

I don't have anything particularly special and it was fairly easy.

This was always recommended by the late Gene Berg the famous VW Parts manufacturer , He said the best person to work on Your car Is YOU.  There is a lot of info on here and the bentley book is great.
You can buy many technical and owners manuals from amazon.com , also you can buy  used books thru there site very cheap..

cheers

Lee

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug