clutch plate dimensions

Started by Speedsterautoshift, 05 March 2019, 11:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom K.

Yes - my apologies.  I had been following this thread several months ago, and didn't read the activity since April.  I'm glad that your clutch thickness issue has finally been addressed, but I also sympathize with you over the continued poor performance.

The noise you are hearing could be the release bearing (as you suspect) or the ball-bearing that sits in the bellhousing. That ball-bearing is several inches from the release bearing, maybe you can take a stethoscope to the various locations?  The ball-bearing is a lot cheaper.

And, yes, do this job yourself.  After all that was mentioned here, that $1500 bill actually sounded low to me - it could have been much worse.  Once you have your transmission on the bench, everything is pretty easy.  The Bentley descriptions and illustrations are excellent.

Speedsterautoshift

Wish it had been $1500!  £1500 is significantly more.  The garage bloke and I both agreed it ought to have been more, considering all the work they had to redo. But then they still haven't fixed it and the new noise is there.
A HUGE thank you for pointing me in the direction of another possible source of the noise. I'll deffo look into that when we get back.
All the best

sb001

Quote from: 68autobug on 15 July 2019, 10:44

You may not want to come back John.....lol....  if the fellow who resembles the US president is Prime Minister.

LEE

It is now official-- the world is lost.

68autobug

Quote from: sb001 on 27 July 2019, 08:27
Quote from: 68autobug on 15 July 2019, 10:44

You may not want to come back John.....lol....  if the fellow who resembles the US president is Prime Minister.

LEE

It is now official-- the world is lost.
YES, I happened to be watching BBC WORLD NEWS at the time.....   a lot of people will have their fingers still crossed.... hoping.....

Lee in Australia
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Speedsterautoshift

Fingers crossed?  With us having a house in France we live in for just under 6 months of the year, (our retirement dream), we are nearly putting contracts out on Bonkers Boris and his little jerk mate Slimey Cove.

68autobug

Well, Australia is looking to make $$$$$ by selling to a country NOT in the European Union.....

But I cannot make sense of leaving the European Union when You are there!!!!!!

LEE

-1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

Speedsterautoshift

No and nor can any person with a brain.  If it wasn't for the quite punitive income tax in France we would consider getting a residence permit to live there as long as we want, (more or less). 

I have said for a long time now that there will either be a No Deal Brexit or No Brexit.  The EU have recently said this themselves as they will not go back on the deal offered to Teresa May which she could not get passed by parliament, quite rightly too as it would have cut the Uk's nuts off and given us nothing.
Too many Trump-voter type idiots living in the country, hence they voted for Brexit and then Bonkers Boris, well, the Tory membership did.
Boris - Trump. Monkey see, monkey do.
We despair.

folkswagon

Not seen this thread before but was searching for clutch plate thickness!

Anyway I may be too late to help and hope all are well from the effects of the current UK government (Brexit or COVID management, both dire!).

I've used the lockdown to try and get my 1968 semi-auto back on the road, and this includes trying to trace a transmission noise. I'm lucky enough to have a full spare transmission (sorry, none of it is for sale) but I've measured the clutch plate thickness in both and here's a pic too -

The top plate is a refurbished plate (looks pretty new) from Brazil by AMORTEX SA, under license from F&S, and is 8.49mm thick in total. The lower is an original F&S from my car (family owned from new) so represents just under 90k miles and 7.50mm thick

Both transmissions are currently on the bench in the garage so feel free to ask questions, request measurements, pics etc  :)

1968 VW Automatic 1500

68autobug

I would say the 8.49mm thick plate would be the newer one.... and the better one to use...

Lee 68autobug

Speedsterautoshift

Hi all.
Still suffering, mostly cos DIY stuff has got in the way of me working on the Speedster. We tried to sell it to the guy who "did" the work, his girlfriend apparently was very interested. But he said we wanted too much money for it. (He was going to revert to normal gearbox.)
So we are back where we were, but with it going "off" outside under tarps. i.e. it will soon be needing a full respray due to bubbles appearing in the gel coat, or worse.