Neutral safety swith - or?

Started by rc.gauthier@comcast.net, 16 June 2021, 22:46

Previous topic - Next topic

rc.gauthier@comcast.net

I just spent two days working behind the dash of my 69 AS.  Installed a Retro radio and the single stereo speaker the just barely fits in place of the stock one.  Also replaced the voltage flucturator for the fuel guage.  Anyway, I dressed all the wires and put everything back in good cosmetic order.  Jumped in the car, turn the key and DEAD.  Behaves exactly like it does when I try to start in gear.  My first thought was neutral safety switch but somehow I don't think so.  I looked at a wiring diagram and energizing voltage to the starter comes through the ignition switch.  Is it possible I knocked something loose while wrestling either the radio or the speaker behind the rats nest of wires to mount them?  I don't have any idea what path the wiring takes from the ignition to starter.
Thanks

68autobug

Have You found the problem as yet????  it is probably something simple like a wire terminal has come loose ..
as I rewired My Beetle My self I cannot help You with any colors or where the wires go etc.... I have twice as many wires, maybe triple the number of wires in a Beetle.  I still haven't connected some things up, like the windscreen washer with electric pump.... etc...

Lee in Australia..

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

68 autovert

Make sure when fiddling with the wires, that you reconnected the red/black wire coming from the ignition is connected (though a shrouded connector) to the thick red wire that goes to your starter, and is routed along the backseat drivers side floor board. there should be a shrouded connector there to test for voltage.

Kent from Oklahoma

Rubybug

Our 74 will not start.  There is a thread I started ''will not start hot''.  As of today the hot issue has gone away,  just will not start,  no solenoid click,  no starter noise period,  the sound of silence.  PLEASE someone help us.  dsmith1961@protonmail.com
With the engine behind,  YOU are ahead
dsmith1961@protonmail.com