Our 1973 Autostick

Started by Dave, 12 February 2012, 22:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Just a few pics I forgot we had. Car is still in storage and will be treated with plenty of TLC when cash allows! :)

Can't wait to get it up and running again.
1300 1973 Beetle Autostick - Amber Orange - Tombstone rear lights

autostick73

Where are you located?   I know my 73 has the big tail lights.

Dave

We're in the UK, near Manchester, it just misses the later '73 rear lights, more of a '72 spec really.

68autobug

Hi Dave
Is Your beetle a SUPERBUG 1302S or a non super  beetle?
I just couldn't tell by looking at Your pics [need to see the bonnet or under the bonnet]
spare laying flat is a super beetle 1302S..
1972 beetles were made from 1st august 1971 until 31st july 1972 [factory dates]
check the date on the rear of the speedo [that will tell You when the speedo was made...]
and that is a good indication when Your car was made... otherwise the chassis number under the rear seat
in the center...  tell me what the number is and I can give You an approximate build date..

cheers from Australia

LEE

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Dave

Cheers Lee, it's a non super then looking at the spare, the wheels were bought new for it in 1997 and have been on it since then so tyres are probably dead and cracked by now.   Will be giving the garage a good clearout this year so will have a nosey at it's numbers then.

One of the brakes seems to have seized as it won't free roll at the moment, that needs sorting really before I can do the clear out, at first glance a few panels need replacing, possibly the floorpans and heater channels, keeping my fingers crossed engine wise as it was a daily drive for it's previous owner back in 1997.

68autobug

Brake cylinders are cheap to replace..
I replaced all mine so it brakes as good as new... lol

We don't have the major rust problems of other countries
unless the car is parked at the beach... lol
especially  country cars.. with no salt etc to eat them away.
the old kombies type 2s , the chassis uses to fill with dust and turn to mud when wet.. then rusted.. lol

although anything can happen in 40 years..

cheers

LEE in Australia
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

68autobug

Quote from: Dave on 27 February 2012, 20:11
Cheers Lee, it's a non super then looking at the spare, the wheels were bought new for it in 1997 and have been on it since then so tyres are probably dead and cracked by now.   Will be giving the garage a good clearout this year so will have a nosey at it's numbers then.

One of the brakes seems to have seized as it won't free roll at the moment, that needs sorting really before I can do the clear out, at first glance a few panels need replacing, possibly the floorpans and heater channels, keeping my fingers crossed engine wise as it was a daily drive for it's previous owner back in 1997.

Hi again dave
Just thinking that You can wire brush off the rust off the bumpers and smooth them down, then apply a few coats of undercoat
even pressure pack paint..  I have found that epoxy pressure pack paint is very tough..  so You can paint them silver or same color as the car..  also, If You like the earlier steering wheels, like My 1968 beetle had originally with the horn ring etc, they fit straight on..  if You like those..  I have repainted mine with epoxy black gloss paint, I now need a steering wheel glove to put on it as the rim is damaged, probably by the ring on the previous owners hand..  I will fit it just to see what its like...lol
I have always had the wheel like Yours although Mine is off a type 3 VW, but they are identical..
I always fitted steering wheel gloves to My cars years ago...  AVUS German made, perforated padded material, and they are threaded on around the wheel with a large sewing needle... lol..  I was lucky enough to find a black one  a few years ago for mine..

cheers

Lee in Australia..    winter will soon be here and I'll be driving with My Beetle heater on... lol   

Dave

Just an update on the age, discovered our Bug was manufactured in March 1973 and sold by the dealer in May '73.  We are owner number 12 of the car.  Just discovered that as of April this year it qualifies for historic car status so we don't have to pay UK road tax when it gets back on the road.

Dave

Still no progress unfortunately, our Beetle is still in storage, a lot of work to do...    ::)