Introduction and Question

Started by rc.gauthier@comcast.net, 16 June 2021, 18:54

Previous topic - Next topic

rc.gauthier@comcast.net

I'm brand new and this is my first.
In 1968 I was working in Germany and bought my wife a new baby blue VWAS.  She drove it for several years but it eventually moved on. Over the years I became a "car guy" but never really into VW's. I'm always searching for vintage cars and one day came across an AS that lived it's life in AZ and belonged to a retired couple that had obviously taken care of it. After gathering as much information as I could get online, the owners were elderly and barely computer literate, but I believe make an honest attempt to get me the info I requested. So, I bought it sight unseen and had it shipped to OR.
One thing they told me was that they had had the engine rebuilt as a 1600 about 5000 miles ago. When the car arrived I liked it a lot and am happy with my purchase. The engine is very strong.
I wanted to indentify the engine but there is no engine number, none, nada. Here is picture of where I think it should be. Can anyone tell me what this means?
Thanks, Ray

volkenstein

Hmmm,
           Unstamped engine case (replacement). I'd go ask OR Police or Rego authorities about getting an approved stamp. The only other thing is it could be a Type 3 sort of case, the engine number is somewhere in the middle of the top of the case IIRC.

HTH
Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"