The gasket in the ATF dipstick CAP was needed - found the oil cap gasket fits

Started by 68autobug, 30 November 2013, 03:38

Previous topic - Next topic

68autobug

Hi Folks
My gasket in the ATF dipstick cap had broken or at least was leaking badly many years ago, so I replaced it with a rubber gasket found at a hardware store..  The ATF makes this rubber or neoprene gasket swell up and lets the ATF leak out..  [although the first one lasted many years]  I have replaced this gasket many times and the ones I am using now are not lasting very long before the ATF swells the gasket and it then leaks ATF..  I just ordered some parts for My beetle so I ordered a few gaskets for the original VW oil cap ..
[which I don't use - I have one of the alloy 90 degree adaptors with an alloy cap..] and I know the original gaskets were cork, but the new ones are now made from a rubber or neoprene type material.. they fit the ATF dipstick cap perfectly... I just need to see how long before the ATF affects these gaskets... Hopefully it won't... but they are made for an oil cap, not an ATF cap...  so, fingers crossed...  I'll post the part number here shortly.. 
111 115 487  CORK GASKET  still available at many parts suppliers..
Air Cooled.net have a silicone oil cap gasket which may be what is needed for ATF Cap -- part number VW-3

Lee in Australia

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

CarlIseminger

I have used the cork gas cap seal for my dipstick cap for a couple of years now.  Yes, it eventually compresses, but I usually notice it long before it starts to leak.  So I just replace it with a fresh one.