Autostick will not shift - Recent body-off

Started by folkega, 20 March 2023, 01:30

Previous topic - Next topic

folkega

My 1968 Beetle Convertible autostick has been reassembled after a body off restoration.  It will not shift into gear.  I get a lot of grinding, so the clutch is obviously not engaging.  I have verified all electrical and also all vacuum.  The vacuum actuator is operating properly, based on visual inspection when the solenoid circuit is grounded.  This afternoon I disassembled the vacuum actuator and have access to the clutch lever attached to the selector shaft.  With the car not running, the lever can easily be moved through approximately 15-20 degrees without any resistance.  Is this normal, or has the lever become disengaged from the clutch during the engine removal and reinstallation somehow?  I really don't want to pull the engine again, but will just get on with it if that is the problem.  Prior to this body-off, I had removed and replaced the engine once with no shifting issues. During that previous engine removal and reinstallation I also replaced the trans input shaft seal.   Thank you for any guidance you can provide.  I am anxious to get this autostick back on the road with her newly refreshed paint and trim. 

folkega

I found today that the lever on the input shaft needed to be removed, rotated and reinstalled.  After doing that, everything functions as it should.  Thank you. 

Tom K.

I experienced this same problem. Glad you fixed it.