New Autostick Owner_Have a Question!

Started by eastky_vw, 30 March 2008, 04:50

Previous topic - Next topic

buggerfly

Quote from: johnr on 30 March 2008, 19:32
I second what everyone else has said.  But I add;  if you can't find the Bentley book,  Clymer's is great, also Haynes and Chilton.  The only book I know of that's useless for the autostick is " How To Keep Your VW Alive". (altho it's great for everything else". ;D

If you have trouble finding the Bentley try eBay, I found quite a few of them on there, just make sure you get the manual that covers your year car. Also you can try amazon.com, cheaper than going to the parts store and paying about $50 or more.
"Buggerfly"
'71 Super Beetle Convertible Auto Stick

Peace, Love and Volkswagens!

hercdriver

I bought the Bentley manual on Amazon about two months ago for 40 bucks. I was lucky to find an older one with the color wiring schematics (It's the one that covers the beetle/super/ghia from about 68-74). I believe the one after it 71-79 is black and white schematics.

Dave
1973 AS Super "Otto"
1975 Westy "Julius"

buggerfly

Quote from: hercdriver on 05 April 2008, 18:16
I bought the Bentley manual on Amazon about two months ago for 40 bucks. I was lucky to find an older one with the color wiring schematics (It's the one that covers the beetle/super/ghia from about 68-74). I believe the one after it 71-79 is black and white schematics.

Dave

Yeah, but on thesamba, I think it's on the forum, you can download the color wiring schematics which is what I did today since I have the haynes right now.
"Buggerfly"

Bookwus

Hiya Stephanie and Dave,

Actually you are both on to something good.

Dave, you are spot-on by far and away, the best deal on a Bentley is from Amazon.com.  Take a look at their used manuals (some a VERY cheap) and you have an excellent chance of getting the colored wiring diagrams to boot.  One always needs a "hard copy" manual - kinda hard to get the computer under the car.  And those grease stains on the keyboard, yechhh.

Stephanie, the Samba is a great place for various VW information.  I always visit over there to see what might have popped up.  Some really great VW literature can be found there also.  Have you heard about www.vintagebus.com ?  That site has THE best collection of VW wiring diagrams and they are huge.  Another excellent resource.

Mike

1970 AS Bug

buggerfly

Cool Mike I will check that out.

I found some of the Bentley manuals on eBay pretty cheap, I ordered one for my car 1970-1974 and it was only $6.95. Granted it was used, but its still in good shape and I'm not out a lot of money for it.
"Buggerfly"

eastky_vw

Sorry for the long absence, I have a 3  month old here at home... If you refer back to the engine pic I posted. could someone tell me where to get the correct distributor for the car?  Also I know that there is the vacuum canister and atf canister under the rear fenders. My question is does this affect being able to remove the fenders, are these canisters attached to the fenders as well and what is the process if they are...

Thanks,

Steve

Bookwus

Hiya east,

The specific distributor you are looking for is a 113-905-205AH.  That was what came on the car when it was new.  You could also use a 043-905-205D.  You might want to shop the classified over at the Samba.  Or you might want to give Wally in our parts section a try.  As I recall he was trying to sell parts out of a 73 AS.  Used distributors often do require some rehabilitation.  If you're interested in new (but not OEM) aircooled. net sells an SVDA that does a great job.  I'm running it in my car and would definitely recommend it.

The tanks under the fenders do not make the fenders unremovable.  They do however make a couple of the fender bolts hard to get to.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

volkenstein

Steve,
        Are you going to run the 34 Pict-3? You have a broader range of distributors to choose from if you do. The H30/31 requires a specially modified SVDA and it isn't compatable with a 34 Pict-3 should you swap later.

A 205AH distributor is a fiddly thing to pull apart, so fair warning - get a complete working unit if you decide you can't live without one.

HTH
Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

Chris the Eagle

Eastky_vw

The canisters for the A/S components are not attached to the fenders, they are attached to the rear bumper mounts.  I believe that there are three bolts holding each canister on.  I used a set of racheting wrenches to remove the fender bolts behind the tanks.  A word of advice tho, If your VW has been sitting for a while, be careful when removing the bolts, I broke one off in the body.  A little PB blaster or WD-40 should free them up enough when thinking of removing them.
God Bless
Chris

69 A/S VW

68autobug

I have found it nearly impossible to bolt the ATF tank onto the bumper mounts

I don't have ratchet ring spanners
but My Son does, and I'm using them at present to install My engine..

they are excellent, and I will have to get a set...

the neck of the ATF tank does bolt to the body with two bolts/studs..

cheers

Lee

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

68autobug

Quote from: buggerfly on 07 April 2008, 23:37
Cool Mike I will check that out.

I found some of the Bentley manuals on eBay pretty cheap, I ordered one for my car 1970-1974 and it was only $6.95. Granted it was used, but its still in good shape and I'm not out a lot of money for it.

Hi Stephanie,
$6-95 Wow

I saw a bentley covered in grease fingermarks all thru it
for sale over here for $80-00

I bought mine from ebay in Australia for about $40-00
and that was a bargain for me...   lol..

I also bought many used manuals in good condition via amazon in the US
very cheaply..  Owners manuals, operator manuals, the VW beetle handbook etc...
[none of those was printed by VW..]
and many of the manuals are excellent..

I have found - no One manual covers everything thoroughly..
but many different ones usually do,

cheers

Lee

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

buggerfly

Yeah Lee,

Guess I got lucky on that find. Thanks for the info on the restoration book, I found that on eBay for $20.00. Gotta love the people that sell things we need when we need them.
"Buggerfly"