Karman Ghia Stickshift reversing light switch location?

Started by Airhead, 12 April 2008, 11:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Bookwus

Hiya Lee,

Quote from: 68autobug on 14 April 2008, 16:15
.....that reversing lamp switch - the long one with two terminal and 68 on it.. must be the one i need..

That one in the picture I posted is currently for sale over on the Samba!
Mike

1970 AS Bug

Airhead

Hi Guys

Ive been crawling around under my car today attempting to sort out my reversing lights. I have the switch like this:

Ive looked on the gearbox housing on the passenger side (my cars LHD) near the drive shaft, this is what I found, a hex head and a weird thing!

Question is where does the Reversing switch go  ??? Im determined to get this working can you help?

Airhead

68autobug

Maybe someone else can give You the correct answer

but I believe its the plug with the allen key socket

The other plug may be the oil fill/level plug...

Not 100% sure...

My gearboxes only have the plug with the allen key socket

Lee

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

volkenstein

Airhead,
          Where that in-hex plug is. Thing is that looks like an early trans. What year is your car and were Reverse Lights mandated for that year?

That weird thing is plugging where you ATF teamperature selector switch goes, again on an early trans.
In your other post about changing the oil, if you have one fill and one drain plug then you have an early model gearbox (pre '71 at least).

How many temperature senders on your Bellhousing? One or two?

HTH
Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

68autobug

someone must have used an early gearbox in a late car...

and taken the switch out and fitted that odd plug...

Does anyone know if the reverse lamp switch will fit into an early gearbox..

Lee

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Airhead

Where will the temperature senders be? my car is a 1971 but I think the build year is 1970 , it is possible that the tranny could have been changed by a PO?

My car is fitted with the reversing lamps in the rear lamp clusters the fittings and bulbs are there.

Airhead

Airhead

Volkenstein

Is this a picture of the senders?

Airhead

Airhead

Quote from: 68autobug on 19 May 2008, 11:26

someone must have used an early gearbox in a late car...

and taken the switch out and fitted that odd plug...

Does anyone know if the reverse lamp switch will fit into an early gearbox..

Lee

Lee

The plug looks like the one on your picture

Airhead

volkenstein

Airhead,
          Yep, that's them. You have an early gearbox complete with early bellhousing. I'd check where that black wire (black in a VW harness is switched power!) and the other one goes. Interestingly enough, an auto kombi has a selector type switch which is near-as-dammit the same as the A-S temp selector switch. Food for thought if you decide to go down that path. I'll post up numbers on the unit when next in the shed.

Regards
Volkenstein

Airhead

Im really confused now  ???

Where do I go from here, any idea, Im assuming the switch that I have is correct just need to know where to put it, the wires are under the car with a 2 pin adapter plug that I assume plugs onto the reversing switch I have?

Help!!!!!

Airhead

volkenstein

Airhead,
          As part of quality shed time, I'll rip my in-hex plug out of my workbench objet de Art gearbox and see what is down that hole. I'll shift it into Reverse as well to see what happens down there.

Back to you later
Volkenstein

PS - Ever thought about rigging a microswitch? You could hang it off the tunnel, or shift bracket or back at the coupling....

Airhead

Look forward to your reply Volkenstein, in the meantime I connected the unconnected plug (the one that has been hanging under my car from the wires) to the reversing switch, depressed it and the reversing lights came on, so at least the switch and the wiring work, now just need to find out which hole the switch goes in.

Airhead

volkenstein

Airhead,
          Just to make sure we are on the same page, in your pic..the upper right hex head bolt should actually be where a three prong temperature selector switch goes. The lower left plug that has a 6mm allen key fitting is where your reverse light switch goes.           

Rip out that plug and stuff your reverse switch in there.

I pulled mine and sure as eggs, the proper "step" is in the reverse gear shaft. One tip, clean that 6mm hex hole with a scribe or something to get ALL the garbage out. Your allen key should go in about 5 - 6mm. Unscrew and keep in a safe place and just slap your switch in with the copper washer, hook reverse wires up (any which way, it doesn't matter) and you should be good to go....

HTH
Volkenstein

Airhead

Volkenstein you are an absolute star thankyou, you see the hex head on my picture what goes in there am I missing the temperature selector thingy  :( you know what they say, you solve one problem and another one raises its head, all good fun!

Airhead