Who has stripped a sump plate thread or nut when changing the oil??

Started by 68autobug, 12 April 2008, 16:39

Previous topic - Next topic

68autobug

I remember reading somewhere about a beetle owner who dreaded changing the engine oil
and taking the sump plate off, then tightening the 6 small special nuts up again..
as He was sure that He will strip one of the nuts or studs..

well, I have found that its very easy to strip the nuts...
and hopefully the threads are stronger than the nuts..
luckily I had a full set of new nuts...

I have tried using nyloc nuts, but a few of them leaked oil
so they don't look like an alternative.

I only use a Tee handle with a socket on the end to tighten the nuts up..

It is important to take the plate off each time you change the engine oil
and clean the strainer, although back in the 70s, I never ever took the plate off !!

best of luck changing the oil.. ;D ;D

Lee

PS: I do use a CB Performance extra sump with finer strainer

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Bookwus

Hiya Lee,

To be sure Lee, the acorn nuts need very little torque to do their job.

And I would just add in case of an "accident", most VW oriented FLAPS sell "step-down" replacement studs.  One end is a size larger than the old stud.  You merely have to re-tap the case and install the larger end.  Works like a charm. 
Mike

1970 AS Bug

68autobug

Hi Mike,

I have thought about getting some of those for spares but have never
seen them for sale over here.

if I strip the end of the thread with a nut
can I just unscrew the threaded stud and screw in another one the same size?

Lee
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

Bookwus

Hiya Lee,

You bet!

But be really careful taking that damaged stud out.  The magnesium compound in the case can seize to steel threads in the stud and "come away" in part when you remove the stud.  In any event, it would be a good idea to chase the threads to clean them out before installing a new stud.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

Airhead

I need to tackle this job, the previous owner of my Ghia has stripped the threads and put in an array of different bolts, so the sump drain is leaking, anyone know where I can get the 6-8mm adapter studs in the U.K?

Bookwus

Hiya Stu,

I really couldn't say for sure.  I'm on the other side of the pond.  But I do have a bus and I know that Just Kampers has a lot of VW parts.  They might be worth a shot.

And if you should come up dry, you can always order these step down studs online.  Shipping, I would think, would be minimal.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

volkenstein

Airhead,
          Try www.streetstyleandpower.com . They're in the UK. Or www.bbt4vw.com ? Just across the channel. You could run down to the newsagents and grab a copy of UltraVw. Lots of UK advertisers in that. As an aside www.volkszone.com is your UK based general VW board so you can try there too.

Lee, 3 of mine actually unscrewed from the case the first time I changed the oil. Wish they made the acorn a little deeper as I'll be up for helicoil/step studs at some stage too.

Regards
Sean
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

funstuie

Well I started my first oil change yesterday. Everything came out OK but putting back in one of the nuts just kept spinning and I realised that the bolt was going further and further up into the case. Luckily I was able to unscrew the bolt back out using a mole grip but I now have to get a new bolt for that one. I am hoping that it will just a case of screwing the new bolt in and putting the nut on (I am going to locktite).

68autobug

If i ever strip one of the stud threads I'm thinking towards
using high tensile bolts and cutting the heads off..
so then the nuts should strip rather than the studs..

Sean,
I would also be able to make the threads slightly longer
as the nuts seem to strip out very easily....
and only in a few threads..

longer threads and longer nuts would be good...?

cheers

Lee