Clutch Slipping, Control Valve? replacing the ATF pump Seals -

Started by Airhead, 25 August 2008, 10:47

Previous topic - Next topic

volkenstein

'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

Airhead

Ok just been under car to look at replacing oil/ATF pump seals but noticed a reasonable fluid leak, not sure if its ATF or oil but its coming from where the engine joinds the transmission

HELP!!!!!

Airhead

Bookwus

Hiya Steve,

A leak showing at that point could be either engine oil or ATF.

You'd have to look more closely (in a worst case scenario - pull the engine) to determine the source.  I'd think you could tell the difference between engine oil and ATF (a sniff test or color) if you have enough fluid in the leak to sample.

In any event, either engine oil or ATF inside the bellhousing is not a good thing.  That could well be a cause of a slipping clutch.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

68autobug

You have to remember that the clutch plate assembly is located inside the gearbox
sealed inside - [from memory]

and the bellhousing with the torque converter and flexplate have drain holes underneath..
so the clutch can't really be slipping.. in Oil ?? I don't think...??

Maybe the clutch plate has worn too much...

We know they don't normally wear too much...

but we are running out of problems....

If everything checks out OK - Hoses - control valve - etc..

it Could be the clutch plate or even the clutch pressure plate...

but maybe the control valve needs MORE adjustment - as its taking too long to operate the servo..
If You lay under the clutch servo - and have some one operate the gearshifter
and see how far the clutch servo lever moves...
and most importantly- if it moves in ONE complete movement - instantanously - [is correct]
or very slowly -- [a problem ] maybe the control valve adjustment is out...
but that sounds like its out a LONG way...

something else just came to mind... if the points in the gearlever base were staying connected too long...
[Way Too long??]

If the clutch assembly is contaminated with Gear oil ..
I think the only way to check would be to drill a hole under the clutch assembly... 10mm  3/8"
One of the gearboxes i have has 3 10mm holes drilled under the clutch assembly...
so, whether there was a problem years ago ??? who knows...
but it cannot hurt anything...  the holes that is...

cheers

LEE

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

68autobug

Well Guys,

this is the hardest one yet...   IMHO...

its getting complicated, when We enter the clutch and gearbox,

usually its a simple thing like a hose - seal etc...

Lee
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

Airhead

Is it possible that the crankshaft seal is leaking and therefore the clutch is getting contaminated with oil?

Airhead

volkenstein

Airhead,
          No, not engine oil at least. The clutch sits in its own cavity behind the Bellhousing. It is sealed on one said from ATF and the other side from transaxle oil.
When you get the engine out have a look at where/what colour oil residue you have. Rear main leaks should be visible through the holes in the Flex plate. ATF can leak out all over the place. It can run toward the converter or toward the GB side of the bellhousing. The converter will fling it all over the shop.

HTH
Volkenstein

68autobug

You should be able to tell what sort of oil it is...

engine oil when a drop is wiped with Your finger
it will have dirt at the bottom of it...

ATF has its own smell...

Hypoid gearbox oil is very smelly...
but usually clean

I suppose this all depends on how dirty the bottom of the gearbox engine is...
mine is all painted and very clean...

but I do get a bit of seepage...

Sean,

can gearbox oil get onto the clutch via that rare seal... 001 311 113 mainshaft oil seal  [evw]

Lee

volkenstein

Lee,
     The possibility certainly exists, but in an A-S I'd reckon it would have to be an absolutley whipped transmission or super high mileage one.

Regards
Sean

68autobug

Sean,

Have you ever replaced that seal
I haven't really heard of anyone having a wet clutch plate due to Gear oil etc..

LEE

volkenstein

Lee,
     No, and I wouldn't want to except if totally necessary. The last time the subject came up, I'd found a post by a guy who found someone had used sealer on the OD and when he attempted to take it out, the inside was trashed but the outer section stuck to the seal bore. An unhappy experience!

Regards
Sean 

68autobug

Well
I hope I never have to either...
the process of replacing the seal looked too hard for Me so luckily
I never attacked the original seal...  lol

thats good news...

Lee