Neutral Safety Switch

Started by 55chib, 12 October 2008, 04:38

Previous topic - Next topic

55chib

My 72 Super has been sitting for about 4 years.  Now the only way for me to start the engine is by putting a jumper to the two red wires on the neutral safety switch plug.  I did remove the switch and checked it with an ohm meter and to me it works o.k.  Could something have happened to the transmission internally when my grandson was sifting the gears when the car was sitting?  I can sift gears when engine is running while I'm driving it up and down the drive way.  I don't have updated license plates tags yet to drive it on the street.  I want to get this problem fixed first.  Any suggestions? 

68autobug

thats strange... if the switch works when the car is in Neutral...
but You need to test the switch installed in the gearbox with Your
Ohms meter s to see if the contact inside the gearbox is actually pushing
far enough into the switch..
If there is a washer on the switch? take the washer off and reinstall...
The problem i had for a long time was the plug sitting on the neutral switch
one of the terminals was nearly out of the plug.. so sometimes its worked and sometimes it didn't..

I've never actually heard of anyone having a problem with the switch it self..
so check Your plug too...
You could connect a switch to the two terminals so it won't in gear..

Lee

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

55chib

After reading your suggestion, I again removed the neutral switch and found no washer.  I also checked again the switch on the ohm meter.  I found that when there is no pressure on the contact point of the switch, there is current flow.  When the contact point is pushed in, there is no current.  This got me to think that maybe that without the washer installed on the switch that it was too tight and that there was pressure being put on the contact point no matter what gear it was in.  I did install an o-ring washer and reinstalled the switch.  Checked the switch on the ohm meter and now it starts only in neutral.