ATF tank question's

Started by AUTO, 09 January 2009, 22:01

Previous topic - Next topic

volkenstein

Lee,

QuoteKarmann ghias have the ATF tank in the engine bay?? am I correct?

Ahhh..right on the money Lee!! Hmm..I find myself somewhat Bug focussed :P
They are indeed, and even mounted on that awkward bracket as well!! So well above the normal resting spot of a Bug's tank!

Regards
Sean
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

68autobug

Its really got Me beat how they bolt that bracket and the bumper bracket on at the same time in the factory??

naturally they wanted to use the same mounting bolts as the bumper brackets...

it took Me ages... years?? to get all the bolts back in that ATF bracket...
nearly wore the tips off a couple of fingers... lol

I took My tank off last year when i added foam insulation to both sides of the engine bay..
and under the rear fenders so no stones can damage or even make a noise..  lol

so, autostick bodies are actually different to manual transmission bodies..
No large hole on the RHS for the neck of the tank...
when you are installing that ATF tank thru the hole and grommet, You will notice
that the tank etc were made at the wierdest angles...

so, is anyone else going to adventure into moving their ATF tank etc to under the rear seat...???

LEE

PS:
I think I'll just sit back and watch...  lol
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

AUTO

so, is anyone else going to adventure into moving their ATF tank etc to under the rear seat...???
LEE
PS: I think I'll just sit back and watch...  lol
[/quote]
I think theres only me daft enough Lee  ;D
But if it does work it should help to keep the car warm and stop those tanks rusting through
The good ATF tank i have did come from a karmann ghia which is why its still mint and as you
say those tank brackets are a real pain , it makes a simple job like removing the rear fenders
a real pain in the butt
The ATF tank is about the same level as it would be on a standard auto stick roughly in line with
the rocker covers, but i think there is more hight under my rear seat as its a vert,
the seat crossmember is much deeper to give the vert bodies more strength so may be this will give
me more room for the tanks ect 
cheers phil      

volkenstein

Phil,
     Hmmm...StarTrek quotations sprung to mind immediately - "To boldly go where no man has gone before" ;D .
Picture yourself as an 18th Century explorer, Pith Helmet, Kitchener muttonchops etc. The simple fact is that most people
want to ditch the autostick, not go the other way.

Bajachris was going to put them in the parcel area but wound up selling all his gear.

Hmmm...Nbturbo could well be Dr Livingstone (been there, done the Type 3 etc) in this lurid ATF soaked 18th century fable...

Enough from me...back to finding my panga and reloading the Westley-Richards .577....

Regards
Sean

68autobug

So long as Phil doesn't end up with Pointy ears Sean....   ;D ;D ;D

One thing in Your favor Phil
as all the hoses etc will be new...
You shouldn't have any vacuum/ATF leaks etc...

Did You say You replaced the two seals in the ATF/Engine oil pump???

LEE

Summer has arrived in Australia - 38C  - which is just too hot to drive a beetle...
the Air is just too hot...  step into the sun and its really HOT...
Some towns recorded 48C ....

LEE
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

Bookwus

Hiya Sean,

Quote from: volkenstein on 15 January 2009, 00:27 ......... reloading the Westley-Richards .577....

What?  No Lee-Enfield 303?

Hey Phil..........

I gotta agree with both Sean and Lee.  Towit:  Sean's idea of customizing a "space friendly" ATF tank is a gret one.  However, should you decide not to do that, Lee's idea of shortening the neck on the stock unit is a good one.

And Lee........

48 here today also!  Unfortunately for me it's Fahrenheit.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

AUTO

Beam me up scottie  ;D ;D ;D

68autobug

Quote from: Bookwus on 15 January 2009, 01:08
And Lee........

48 here today also!  Unfortunately for me it's Fahrenheit.

I Just Love Fahrenheit Mike.....  lol

Couldn't We just swap about 10 degrees C..???

LEE

volkenstein

Mike,

QuoteWhat?  No Lee-Enfield 303?

Great wild pig gun, quite useless against mastodon's, enraged or otherwise! ;D

Regards
Sean

Bookwus

Hey Sean,

Dammit!  And I was just about to go out mastodon hunting!
Mike

1970 AS Bug