distributer thoughts

Started by kbug, 16 January 2009, 02:08

Previous topic - Next topic

kbug

QuoteI spend a lot of time and words trying to say what you have stated in simple and easy-to-understand language.  Absolutely!

Stop it, you're making me blush. I was just checking out Rob and Dave's site. They have a history of the 009 and timing procedures. Muddied water is right.   
MICHAEL

1968 AS BUG

volkenstein

Lee,
     I think you have me confused with someone else ;D

Regards
Sean
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

68autobug

The 009 Distributor was never used by VW on their vehicles...
its a cheaper alternative and as Mike says, performance orientated...
You will hear or read just about everyone has a 009 dizzy...

Our carburetors didn't have all the emission controls you had in the US..
so We don't have the flat spot... but the 009 relies on revs to advance..
Plenty of vacuum when you press the throttle... but the 009 doesn't use it..
so, its slower to take off...  Unless You idle at 3000rpm no worries.. lol

I added a home built high energy ignition system
its just a box that replaces the condenser , but I still use the points
the points don't burn, as there is very little current flowing thru them..
they just turn the high energy ignition on & off..
they put out a LOT of volts into the coil.. [can be deadly]

I noticed instantly, engine starts first time every time...
and I have much more horsepower.. something I didn't expect..

I still need to adjust the points when the rubbing block wears down..
the one time i did this... I adjusted the points and did NOT need to adjust the distributor..

but I would like to get a SVDA dizzy at some time in the future..

the 009 distributor needs to be timed at 28-32 degrees BTDC...
with the engine revving...

cheers

LEE

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

kbug

Hey all. I just talked to Andy and my engine is ready. Delivery on Tues. Here's the funny part. He tested a 009 and vacuum adv. dist. on the engine and found the vacuum adv. worked better. He said the 009 lacked umph :o I won't rub it in. He also said there was no noticable difference with the elec. ignition. I decided to pass on it. That's something I can always ad later if I feel the need. I'll post some photos and list specs when it's sitting in my garage.
MICHAEL

1968 AS BUG

68autobug

Quote from: kbug on 24 January 2009, 02:13
Hey all. I just talked to Andy and my engine is ready. Delivery on Tues. Here's the funny part. He tested a 009 and vacuum adv. dist. on the engine and found the vacuum adv. worked better. He said the 009 lacked umph :o I won't rub it in. He also said there was no noticable difference with the elec. ignition. I decided to pass on it. That's something I can always ad later if I feel the need. I'll post some photos and list specs when it's sitting in my garage.

thats what We like to hear....
Confirmation from an expert....
Well it looks like I need an SVDA distributor....

LEE

PS: can the SVDA be painted any color???  ;D ;D ;D
decisions decisions... :D :D
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

kbug

Quote from: 68autobug on 24 January 2009, 07:23
Quote from: kbug on 24 January 2009, 02:13

thats what We like to hear....
Confirmation from an expert....
Well it looks like I need an SVDA distributor....

LEE

PS: can the SVDA be painted any color???  ;D ;D ;D
decisions decisions... :D :D

You guys are the experts. Nice to see it confirmed thru testing. Your engine is starting to look like the Partridge Family bus. ;D Oops, I'm showing my age.

Michael
MICHAEL

1968 AS BUG

sk

Hello,

I'm using 009 together with a Weber DGV. In certain weather conditions I have the well known "flat spot". I'm used to it, so it's no big deal. The reason for my choice of distributor was simply the lack of another vacuum port on the carburator (I'm using the standard vacuum port for the clutch valve).

http://www.kvamme.se/pub/VW/DSC00714.JPG

/SK

volkenstein

SK,
    Hi there, welcome to this little corner of the VW planet!

You're not the member formerly known as "stenis" are you?? He ran the same set-up sort of...nice vacuum graphs and everything!

There is a discussion on jetting for a weber progressive at the moment on www.thesamba.com if you are interested.

Regards
Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

sk

Volkenstein

Hi,
stenis was me but I couldn't log on with it, so I created a new account.

Thanks for the link to thesamba!

Regards,
stina

Bookwus

Hiya SK,

In that case, welcome back. 

This makes me wonder if there might be a way to tap the Weber for another vacuum port a'la the Solex carbs.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

sk

Bookwus,

That's a good question. I've thought about it, but drilling in the quite complicated Weber carb body is a gamble. The Weber goes reasonably well together with the 009. The "flat spot" is only something I have to deal with when I am in 1:st gear at a stoplight, going to give someone a surprise ;-)

/stina