1970 AS Bug

Started by Warbow, 09 March 2009, 17:37

Previous topic - Next topic

hercdriver

War,
   The hose you're talking about isn't cheap. I bought 2 meters and want to say that it was around 80 with shipping. The hose itself is as close to OEM as you're going to find 30 years after the factory stopped making autosticks. If you're going to order from this supplier, I'd order the two meters. It gives you enough to redo all of the old hose. Once it's done you should be good for another 30 years. If you still want to do just one section, give the guy a call and he may be willing to work with you. I found him to be very easy to work with.

You can find cheaper hose, but you'll need to make sure the inner diameter is correct and that it's wire reinforced so that it won't collapse under vaccum. Others have had issues with standard non reinforced hose. Do a search on this forum, and you'll see the problems others have had.

Dave
1973 AS Super "Otto"
1975 Westy "Julius"

Warbow

Thanks for the replies.

If I'm replacing these hoses, I'm replacing them all. I'll admit that I'm a band-aid kinda guy. But like you said these should last another 30 years. Do the job correctly once instead of 2 times halfway.
Another 1970 AS Bug - Warbow

Warbow

Does this look like the correct Brake Warning Light for a 1970 bug?

I've solved my headlight problem, it's amazing what a good cleaning to the contacts can do. Hope the wipers are that simple.

LA Irish

Warbow

That's the same as on my 70 AS bug so I would say your good with that one.

Bob 
LA Irish (AKA Bob)

Bookwus

Hiya War,

I'd X2 Bob on that, probably.  But it just might be a good idea to show us the other end of the assembly.

VW had at two different brake warning lamps.  And I notice that yours does not have the "B" stenciled on the red push button lense.  The "B" may just have worn off, but it also might be another variation of the brake warning light.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

Warbow

Well, I'd give you a pic of mine if it wasn't just a lightbulb and spring sticking out of my dash. The question is does your brake warning light have a "B" on it?

Bookwus

Hiya War,

The lenses I have in my Bug and my Bus both have the "B".

Here's a picture of a switch and its component parts.........

The "exploded" switch is basically correct but you cannot see the spring assembly inside the switch body.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

LA Irish

Hey Bookwus

Components on my 70 AS Bug are the same but no screening on the lens.  Too much glass cleaner I guess.  Where can I find a repalcemnt lense?

Bob
LA Irish (AKA Bob)

Bookwus

Hiya Bob,

You can have the one in the picture above if you want it.  Yes, it does have the "B".  Pay the postage and it's yours.

Zap a pm my way.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

Warbow

I've found 2 bugs and I'm hoping to pick one of them up cheap for parts. I haven't got a close look at either of them. Hopefully they have the little things like this brake light.

I fixed the wipers yesterday. I had to remove the assembly and give it a good cleaning. During the process, I broke one of the motor wires and had to solder it back onto the contact.

Sadly that wasn't my stupid act for the day. I closed the trunk lid with the glove box assembly removed. Not  horrible but still annoying. I was able to reach in from inside and reattach the cable anchor. Then pull the cable with some pliers.  I spent the rest of the day with a roll of duct tape sitting over the latch to prevent a repeat.

Bookwus

Hiya War,

Well, you know, the old saying goes, "experience is the best teacher" 

There's a lot of truth in that.

And we've all been in the same situations, believe me!
Mike

1970 AS Bug

Warbow

I was having problems getting fuel to the carb.I hooked up the fuel pump to a gas can and still wasn't  getting fuel. I pulled the fuel pump checked the fuel rod throw. Everything looked fine so I reinstalled the pump and the gas can. She started right up. She still doesn't idle right but I had her running for about 5 minutes.

I was so pleased, I tried puttung her in gear. She went and I got so excited I decided to take victory lap around the yard. I forgot she was hooked up to a gas can and she drove off anyway. I suddenly remembered and stopped her. Loaded the gas can behind the drivers seat and drove her around the backyard for about 4 laps. I had to hold the hose in the can but it was no problem since I didn't have to shift. :)

Bookwus

Hiya War,

Yay!

I had to laugh out loud about forgetting the gas can.  That reminded me of me!
Mike

1970 AS Bug

Warbow

I've got a rebuilt 30 PICT-3 coming my way. I've read and understand the "Modifying a 34 Pict 3 for semi auto use" in the step by step forum. Will there be any difference between the 30 Pict-3 and the 34 Pict-3? I'm mainly concerned about the depth to drill.

volkenstein

Warbow,
           If it has a boss in the correct location then it shouldn't be a problem. If there is no boss to drill into...then you'll have a problem.

Regards
Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"