1970 AS Bug

Started by Warbow, 09 March 2009, 17:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbow

It should look exactly like this. The only thing I'm really concerned about it is the 10mm depth. Is there a difference in thickness between the 34 Pict and the 30 Pict.
Another 1970 AS Bug - Warbow

Bookwus

Hiya War,

Start by drilling into the boss with a 3/16 bit. Drill into the right rear boss (at 1:00 from the blow-out plug in your picture) about halfway through the body of the carburetor.  Then complete the hole all the way through to the inside throat (venturi) of the carburetor with a 9/64.  The brass vacuum nipple that you will tap into the 3/16 hole will bottom out where the 9/64 hole begins.  You can pretty much judge halfway through the body by eyeballing it.  However, do be careful when drilling because that steel drill bit will eat through that carb body quickly.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

bennie

New to the site and can say that i have found many useful posts and have applied them and has fixed most of my problems.  I am currently trying to finish a project 70 AS myself.  Been on it all winter but having one problem that is stumping me and have not been able to figure out.  While vehicle is running and trans shifted into reverse, the engine is killed totally, no matter how hard you try to keep it alive.  Seems like the vacuum or electrical is completely cut from the motor.  All three forward gears work like a dream and were made that way only due to the information found in these posts, many thanks to all members here !!  Rerouting vacuum lines to correct spots helped out a lot but has not cured the motor dying when in reverse.  You can still have your hand on the shifter and the vehicle dies, meaning that the clutch doesn't have to engage for this to occur.  Just the movement into reverse selection is killing all life.  Any points into the right direction would be much appreciated.  Also a question of if the reverse lights not working in this scenario would have anything to do with this. 

Warbow

Welcome Bennie

I did a quick search and the following thread may very well have your answer.

http://www.vwar.org/forum/index.php?topic=85.0

Since your reverse lights are not working you may have crossed your reverse lights with the electric idle cut-off valve on the carburetor.  This would make sense for the symptoms you have described.

bennie

Thank you Warbow for that, i will check into that this evening and report my findings.  Poor bug has been sitting for over 13 years with plenty of weathering done to it, not to mention any rodents and/or bug nests found within.  With that in mind, who knows what else has been chewed up over the years besides of what i have replaced so far.

greenghia

Make sure that the only wire on one side of the coil is the one from the distributor. If you hooked up the backup lights to that terminal, the car will die immediately when placed in reverse.

Bookwus

Hiya Guys,

Good calls on the back-up lights not being hooked up correctly.

X3
Mike

1970 AS Bug

bennie

YOU GUYS TOTALLY ROCK !!! lol i got home and unplugged the reverse lights that did happen to be plugged in the same side as the distributor and BINGO, instant reverse. Thank you all for your input, been struggling with it for some time.  Been in the automotive world my whole life but am brand new to the world of VW and has been a fun experience so far. 

LA Irish

Book

Though I would pirate this thread.  I also have a 70 AS with orginal air filter.  It has been gutted of all the flaps, cables, thermostats ect.  I would like to make it functional again.  It is now mounted on my Keifernet 34 PICT.

1.  Any diagrams of the parts that I need

2.  If they are still available where would be the best place to start my search?

Thanks

Bob
LA Irish (AKA Bob)

Bookwus

Hiya Bob,

Getting a diagram of an air filter for a 70 might be tough.  Most all of the parts diagrams I have seen speak to the air filter models that superceeded the thermo cable type air filter on a 70.  And, even at that, VW apparently considered the air filter a unit.  I have never seen an exploded diagram of any VW air filter.  If anybody out there in VWARland has acces to such an exploded diagram please post it up.

Parts (such as the internal flaps and plastic flap clips) are not aftermarket items.  If you need these parts (as you obviously do) your best bet is to hit a salvage yard.  The good and the bad of this is............many of the flaps are interchangeable from one air filter to another.  However, the cable controlled flap on a 70 air filter is unique.  I'm thinking that your best bet would be simply to buy a complete 70 air filter for your car rather than to try hunting down the parts.

And then there's the cable business............

You'll have to replicate that cable if you do not already have it.  I had the internal cable but I had to find the outside sheath.  Got that in a bike shop and I'd bet that they could also round up a suitable replacement for the internal cable.  Of course, all this assumes that you do have the correct flapsets installed in your fanshroud right now.  And hooking up the cable to the flapset arm takes a bit of special hardware.

All in all, it's a do-able project, but it will take some resourcefulness and perserverance on your part.  If you have any questions or need more information, post your questions up here.  My car is being painted right now and I'll be able to get pictures to you after I get it back.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

LA Irish

Mike

Thanks for the post.  This 70 AS as you know started its life as a single port.  It has been changed over to a DP 1641 with the newer style fan shroud and cooler.  I dont know if the shroud even has the flapset in it (much less the cable).

To be honest I can't remember the old unit having a flapset installed (someone else did the R&R on the motor).  :-[ If you have the diagrams of the fan shround with the flapset in it would you shoot it to me?  I assume that the flapset in the shroud isn't available seperately and I'll need to dig up one with the proper components? :(

At the end of the day this may all have to wait until I pull the motor to get the fanshroud off and take a look.  Thnaks for the help.

Bob
LA Irish (AKA Bob)

Bookwus

Hiya Bob,

Here is a diagram of the components for a doghouse fanshroud flapset installation..........

The components inside the circled area are what you'd need if you are running a doghouse fanshroud.  They will be essentially the same if you're running an older singleport fanshroud, but the connecting bar (#31) will be changed to the singleport model (#30)

More importantly there is another difference you should note.  Take a look at #23.  That's the right hand flapset.  Here it is along with the left flapset.........

Right is on top in this picture.  In this picture you are looking at the flapsets from the front of the car perspective.  The correct flapset for your application has an arm that extends rearward (and when the flapset is in place inside the fanshroud, the arm extends outside the fanshroud to connect to the air filter cable) from the flapset.  That arm is attached to the other side of the arrowed pivot shaft.  You gotta have that arm.  Sorry I don't have a better picture.

Actually, these flapsets are available.  You just have to make sure that you have the correct one for your application.  If you like, I can check through my parts.  I'm pretty sure I do have the correct flapset - maybe the entire set-up. 
Mike

1970 AS Bug

LA Irish

Hey Mike

I will taker a look tomorrow and see what I have/don't have on my car.  I'll post what I need.  If you got the parts that would be great.  Rather spread the $$ to my AS friends.  I'll start looking for an air cleaner with all the needs components also.  Thanks

Bob
LA Irish (AKA Bob)

Warbow

Ignore the text in the picture.

Is the fuel pump in the picture an alternator version?

Bookwus

Hiya War,

Yep, that's an "alternator special".

Notice that it is angled away from the alternator position.  A generator fuel pump will sit straight up and down relative to the case.  You can use an alternator fuel pump in a generator application, but not vice versa.
Mike

1970 AS Bug