bumming big time

Started by kbug, 24 May 2009, 23:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Bookwus

Hiya Wrench,

You are so right about that 30/31.

That guy was made as generic replacement for any 30PICT series carbs.  All of those carbs sat on top of single port engines and two of them were on top of 1500s.  Not 1776 material by a long shot.

As to the 34PICT3.  A much better choice for a 1776.  But it too needs to be rejetted for this application.  Take a look above in this thread and you'll find a post by me with some more specifics about rejetting the 34PICT3 for use on a 1776, courtesy of Rob & Dave.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

kbug

Hey guys. I got an email from Keith. He gave me his # and asked me to call him tomorrow about a new carb. I'll let you know what he says.
MICHAEL

1968 AS BUG

kbug

Talked to Keith. He has a 34PICT3 for an autostick that he's going to set-up for me. Only $185, sweet deal. Said he'll put me on the short list. He also said my wet starts may be due to too much pressure from the fuel pump. I'll check that out. The fraulein's actually running pretty good once she gets warmed up. The 1776 gives me some real power to work with. On a daily driver level that is.  ;D
MICHAEL

1968 AS BUG

Bookwus

Hiya Michael,

Woo-hoo!

As coincidence would have it, I am just on my way out the door to the Post Office.  Going to send another carb down to Keith.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

kbug

How do you send them?
MICHAEL

1968 AS BUG

Bookwus

Hiya Michael,

I make sure all the gas is out of the carb and it's dry.  I then wrap it with shop type paper towels.  That then goes inside a Ziploc bag.  Then into a suitable box along with packing peanuts.  Usually I Priority Mail via USPS and Keith returns in kind.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

kbug

Thanks Mike. I'll need to send him the old one.
MICHAEL

1968 AS BUG

Bookwus

Hiya All,

Painting update...............All done!

Mike

1970 AS Bug

hercdriver

Very nice job Mike! And it looks like you got those bumpers back also  ;D
1973 AS Super "Otto"
1975 Westy "Julius"

tmea

Mike:

Your car looks outstanding! I'm still in the hunt for someone who will paint mine.

Tom

greenghia

Hmmmm  I'm beginning to see a trend with the paint color ;)

Bookwus

Hiya green,

Quote from: greenghia on 16 June 2009, 23:42
Hmmmm  I'm beginning to see a trend with the paint color ;)

Yeah.  Kinda creeps up on ya' doesn't it?

Truth be told, L620 is the original color for both Bug and Bus.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

kbug

I'm buying a used, louvered deck lid for my bug tomorrow. I found a guy on the Samba who has 20 of them for sale at $20 each. Is there any difference in size on later models? He said they're all 1968 and older.
MICHAEL

1968 AS BUG

Bookwus

Hiya Michael,

Lots of differences.  It is definitely not a one-size-fits-all...........IF............you want it stock.  Otherwise you are pretty much safe withany rear decklid that is post 1967.

The differences occur in the number of cooling slots for each year and model of car.  Take a look.............

1968:  Sedans  No vents                     Convertibles 10 (2 rows of 5)
1969:  Sedans  No vents                     Convertibles 10 (2 rows of 5)
1970:  Sedans  10 (2 rows of 5)           Convertibles 28 (4 rows of 7)
1971:  Sedans  10 (2 rows of 5)           Convertibles 28 (4 rows of 7)
1972:  Sedans  26 (7-6-6-7)                Convertibles 26 (7-6-6-7)
1973 and on:  as in 1972 (from what I can tell as of the moment)
Mike

1970 AS Bug

68automaticFoVay

I am pretty sure my Original deck lid had had no vents and 3 holes approx. 3 inches apart in a diag. line to hold the three posts that held the
AUTOMATIC
StickShift
logo made of Aluminum
Good Luck on your 68.
Automatic Stick Shift '68' Beetle
Happiness is Automatic in a VDub