Stalling in reverse

Started by 1970 conv AS, 02 August 2007, 22:18

Previous topic - Next topic

1970 conv AS

Hello all,
I have a 70 with 1600 SP I'm trying to get running. I pulled the engine and swapped with another i had.  Did not touch the transmission or converter.  I'm having carb isues (another problem i think i just need to get the choke adjusted). But when i do get the car running i can shift in all the forward gears no problem. When i shift into reverse it goes into the reverse position but as soon as i lift off the shifter the car stalls and sometimes backfires. Anyone have any ideas.  The shifter point has been replaced.

Thanks
mike

Bookwus

Hiya 1970,

Interesting problem!

First of all, do know that there is nothing different or unique in shifting into reverse as opposed to the three forward ranges.  Well, with the sole exception of having to depress the shift lever, of course.  But mechanically speaking, if you shift into the forward ranges you should be able to shift into reverse also, unless..................

There is something wrong inside the case.  This I doubt because you mention the backfire.  Besides, the AS is a very hardy beast and usually problems with this transmission can be solved without ever having to get inside the case.

So, I'm thinking of what might be different (about shifting in to reverse) outside the case and the only thing I can come up with is the back-up lights.  There are two in-line fuses on your 70 and they are located in the upper left hand corner of your fan shroud.  It may be possible that you have cross wired these guys or somehow cross wired them with the electric idle cut-off valve on the carburetor. 

Just guessing here, but I'd start looking real hard at those in-line fuses and the coil hookups.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

68autobug

Very well thought out Mike....

I wouldn't have thought of that...

Lee

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug