Wiring Modifications - New SVDA has arrived -

Started by 68autobug, 01 October 2009, 09:15

Previous topic - Next topic

68autobug

Well
My SVDA from Air cooled.net has arrived... with Pertronix kit..
My order was held up by another part they have been waiting on...
so, I cancelled that part and Eight days from the USA to Australia..
The high energy ignition I'm using was made for points...
I have another kit which will be made for the Hall Effect ignition...

so, I won't be installing it for a while...

I am checking all my wires under the bonnet at the moment and installed another KMH speedo
complete with High Intensity Clear LEDs... [bluish tinge]

I also have a new fusebox to install.. with push pull fuses..

I have about 10 seperate push pull fuses under My bonnet..
which isn't good, as although none have blown..
When I carry stuff under My bonnet... funny things happen to My electrics...
so there must be a problem or two there...

The main problem was rewiring My beetle with the fuel tank OUT...
many wires wouldn't fit over the tank....

so soldering iron is out...

other than that My beetle is going the best it ever has...

cheers

LEE

PS: So long as it goes after some modifications....

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Bookwus

Hiya Lee,

Keep us updated on your SVDA install.

Interestingly, over on this side of the pond, I'm thinking about pulling my SVDA out and replacing it with a 205T, the original vacuum only distributor for this Bus.  Over the past few weeks I'm getting more and more hesitation and bucking at low RPMS which I'm guessing is a symptom that is being caused by the SVDA not properly getting a vacuum signal from the carburetor.  Perhaps a torn vacuum diaphragm? 

Well, when I have a free moment (there haven't been many of those lately) I'll check that out and doublecheck the timing.  Yeah valves too.  But I'm kinda leaning toward going back to stock anyway.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

singlecab61

Hey there Lee,

I'm really diggin those LED's for the speedo. Where could I get some of those, or are they a build it yourself kinda thing? Either way, they look awesome!
1956 Rag Top Oval (Dad's)
1961 Single Cab (Mine)
1961 Single Cab (Lil Bro's)
1969 Auto-Stick Bug (Mine)

"If it has wheels or a motor, IT NEEDS MORE POWER!"-Tim Allen.

tmea

Lee:

Sounds like a great project. Let us know how it turns out! Mike. I have had the same distributor problem twice. Once, torn diaphragm and the second time a small washer (from the PO's attempt to change points) had jamed the stator plate in the distributor.

Good news! Your earlier painting pics motivated me. On the 19th I'm getting the car painted savannah beige. Even found proper color running boards. Going to remove the glass and replace the headliner next weekend. Not looking forward to that task. I'll send pics later.

Tom

68autobug

Quote from: singlecab61 on 01 October 2009, 15:58
Hey there Lee,

I'm really diggin those LED's for the speedo. Where could I get some of those, or are they a build it yourself kinda thing? Either way, they look awesome!

the 10mm LEDs I bought on e-bay from China...  they can be used on 12 volts as they have a small resistor in the wire.
there was about 20 in a packet..  they are the white [clear] ones which actually give off a blue light..
I tried Blue ones first, and they were too dull to see at night..  they were about $20  for the packet

I also have them in My number plate lamp.. lol
as all new large Trucks and trailers over here have them as number plate lamps.. so they are legal..

Angle.edeal

I actually used a hot glue gun to glue the LEDs to the speedometer,,,

cheers

LEE

-1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

tmea

I wish I could get the LED light clusters in 6v. It would make the tail lights on my 1960 considerably brighter.

autonewbie

Leds can easily be made to work on 6 volts. In fact any voltage above about 2 volts will light an led brightly, as long as the current limiting resistor is changed to limit the current through each led to about 20ma.
Many 12volt led strings/clusters are wired in a series/parallel arrangement with one current limiting resistor for several series leds. Yes all these can be modified to operate on 6 volts, but one has to be prepared to do minor surgery on the led device. I cannot help with the mechanical surgery but am happy to provide resister values to those that wish to operate on voltages lower than 12 volts. All I need is a description of the device and its present wiring arrangement, the color of the led's, the present designed for operating voltage, and the desired operating voltage.
When I  was 15 I wanted a Ghia....It only took me 47 years to get one!   1970 Karmann Ghia Autostick.

68autobug

Yes,
I also bought a packet of 20 `10mm very bright white/clear LEDs..
and these can be used on any voltage with a resistor..
4 Volts will blow these instantly... [I thought I was using one with the resistor..lol]

and different color LEDs are different voltages...
they aren't like "normal" bulbs...
no filaments so they can't be all made at 12 volts etc.. or 2 or 3 volts......
its the make up of the Light Emitting Diode that determines the voltage...

for 6 volts, You could glue 5 or 6 of these 10mm very bright LEDs together
and use with a resistor... [in parallel]  I use a heat glue gun to glue them together.
then some more on the outside for the brake lamps...  or half and half..

Cheers

Lee
[/b]

68autobug

Hi
Well I've been working on My beetles wiring for the past day or so.. and I did find a few intermittant wiring
connections under the bonnet...  
It does really look like a rats nest... lol...  as I used individual wires for everything...
not just the few that VW used originally..

I have fitted the new KMH speedo with white/bluish super bright 10mm LEDs
and have everything working apart from the speedo itself...
I think I have it connected to the cable correctly now..
but I haven't tested it...

Not sure whether I want to pull it all apart again to fit the new fusebox yet.. lol...
it doesn't look as difficult as replacing the speedo was...
as I have relays and contact blocks [connectors] behind the speedo..

the summer weather has disappeared back to winter again...
Very Windy and 50F 11C at the moment...
but i don't really mind, as the summer will come soon enough...

I haven't assembled the SVDA and pertronix as yet...

My beetle is going the best it ever has...
only thing, it takes about 1 second for the engine to start, where before it started instantly....  lol
maybe the carby was a bit rich before????

cheers

LEE

68autobug

Quote from: singlecab61 on 01 October 2009, 15:58
Hey there Lee,

Hi
I bought them from china...
very inexpensive too...

I bought some of these years ago... still haven't used them... lol
and they were $10 each and not as bright as the New ones...
there are also Newer LEDs on the market...
these are square on a very small circuit board...
I have some small dash bulbs which have 4 of these very small square LEDs on the end..
I just went to look at one... but I must have used them somewhere??
or misplaced them... lol  [about $5 a bulb]

there are also newer ones which I haven't actually seen yet..
they are rated at 1 or 2 watts... which is enormous for an LED...
they also get hot... and have a heatsink built in..
I saw some bulbs with 3 of these LEDs and they were about $30 each
there are others with more LEDs and these were $40-$50 each..  lol

cheers

LEE