1974 SB

Started by ccox, 25 May 2007, 19:35

Previous topic - Next topic

ccox

;D I'm new to all this...got a 74 SB semi-auto---which by the way runs like a "Singer" sewing machine. I would like to put mudd flaps on the rear. What with the ATF cannister under the right rear fender and the vacuum cannister under the left, before I make the purchase, will the standard run-of-the-mill mud-flap brackets fit ??? 

jody

I would say that it's not beyond possibility that you might have to fab up your own ( or modify the ones that come with the flaps ) to suit the application. That shouldn't be very hard at all. A little extra twist, re-bend or whatever it takes to mount them securely.  I'd go for it, they just may fit right the way they arrive.

Jody

Bookwus

Hiya cc,

I've been putting miles on my AutoStick for just about ten years now and I have yet to hear of a set of mud flaps made expressly for an AutoStick.  That tells me one of two things.............either there's just not a big enough market out there for AutoStick mudflaps (certainly a possibility) or there is no difference between a manual and an Autostick in this respect.

I know what you mean when you expressed concern about the ATF reservoir and the vacuum can.  Were I you, I'd order out the mudflaps (make sure you buy from a dealer who will take returns in case you can't make 'em fit) and see if you can get them to fit.  As Jody suggests, you may have to use some "creative engineering"

In any event, do let us know how you make out.  It will be another piece of information we can make use of in the future.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

68autobug

Hi,
I bolted New [made in 1968] VW mudflaps to My Beetle with Right Angle
zinc plated brackets bought at the local hardware store.
these wire screwed to the body, with the nuts inside the engine bay.
I used some scrap aluminium that I screwed to the mudflaps at the bottom
and to the brackets at the top..
I do have a diagram somewhere..
I'll post it when i find it...

Lee - 68Autobug - Australia -

PS: My Wife ripped both mudflaps off when backing down a gutter
faster than she should have been...  lol..
I now think My beetle looks better with no mudflaps...

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug