1970 AS Bug

Started by Warbow, 09 March 2009, 17:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbow

I'm am the proud owner of a "new to me" 1970 VW Beetle AutoStick.

The carburetor on this engine has "30PICT-2-3" stamped on the side.

The first few questions I have are:

Exactly which carb do I have? 30PICT-2 or 30PICT-3?

What is the extra port shown in the photo below? Should it be plugged?

The last question deals with the ATF tank. Does anyone have a picture of the mounting bracket? My tank is currently just hanging by the filler tube. I do have the strap that goes around the tank but not the bracket. The missing bracket mounts to the bumper brackets?

I've got plans to move the fuel filter out of the engine bay and also replace the 009 distributor with a more stock distributor. I haven't gotten the engine running with this carburetor yet, it's pretty gummed up. I've ordered a rebuild kit and vacuum caps.
Another 1970 AS Bug - Warbow

Warbow

Bookwus

Hiya War,

Welcome to this corner of the VW neighborhood.

About your tank and bracket...........  First off do know that Mark Bolina, the fellow placing the ad in the Samba Classifieds is a first rate seller.  I have done business with him and never been disappointed.  In fact just the opposite, I have been amazed at both the quality of his parts and the care he puts into them.  He is an excellent resource.

If you buy the bracket from Mark you will need another piece.  The tank is held to the bracket by a large band-style clamping ring.  It is much like the generator strap or a VERY large hose clamp.  You might want to ask Mark if he could also supply you with this strap.

And about your carburetor............  From the angle of the picture I really cannot tell if you have a 30PICT2 or a 30PICT3.  Your 1970 would have come with a 30PICT3 as original equipment.  What is the maker's name?  Solex, Bocar, or Brosol? 

However, I can tell you that the carburetor you have is most likely not an AutoStick specific carburetor.  It looks to be a replacement/original for a car with a manual transmission.  I say that because you have the bottom vacuum port (the one near the base flange that angles upward) and that port was NOT present on an AS specific carburetor.  That port was intended for use with the throttle positioner on manual transmission cars, but never installed on As cars.  It should most definitely be capped.

The vacuum port at 10:00 above the blow-out plug is for use with retard side of a DVDA distributor.  This port is almost universally plugged on a 30PICT3 or 30PICT2 as DVDA distributors were not commonly used with this carburetor.  The vacuum port on the left side of the carburetor is for hook-up to the advance side of either a DVDA or an SVDA or a vacuum advance only distributor.  Since you are now running a 009 it should be capped.

Also, I'm spotting another potential problem in the area of your air cleaner.  You have the 1970 original air cleaner (a good thing! - I'm looking for one right now myself!) but the thermostat cable which controls the preheat flap in the air cleaner horn is missing.  Without a functioning preheat flap the engine thinks its cold all the time - not good for smooth operation.

I'd definitely say you were on the right track in considering a new distributor for this engine.  And moving the fuel filter out of the engine compartment is a very good idea.

Where are you located?

Mike

1970 AS Bug

Warbow

Thank you for your help.

I do have the strap for the ATF tank. I'm missing the bracket because the bumpers where removed and the bracket was misplaced.

As for the maker of the carburetor, it is not on it anywhere that I can see. The only markings on the carburetor are "30PICT-2-3" and "12v".

As for the air cleaner, I'm trying to understand. The air cleaner is supposed to have flap inside the intake horn? Let's assume that my engine still has a working thermostat (I can't confirm or deny at this point). The thermostat links up into Fan shroud. The thermostat cable which controls the preheat flap in the air cleaner horn would link up to a control rod that exits the fan shroud on the right hand side? Does that sound correct?

I'm located in south eastern Ohio about 3 1/2 hours south of Mark Bolina.

Bookwus

Hiya War,

Quote from: Warbow on 10 March 2009, 00:50
As for the maker of the carburetor, it is not on it anywhere that I can see. The only markings on the carburetor are "30PICT-2-3" and "12v".

There should be a maker name (if, indeed, there is a maker name) on the left side of the float bowl........just in front of the vacuum port for the distributor advance.

QuoteAs for the air cleaner, I'm trying to understand. The air cleaner is supposed to have flap inside the intake horn?

You are correct sir.

QuoteLet's assume that my engine still has a working thermostat (I can't confirm or deny at this point). The thermostat links up into Fan shroud. The thermostat cable which controls the preheat flap in the air cleaner horn would link up to a control rod that exits the fan shroud on the right hand side? Does that sound correct?

Spot-on!

QuoteI'm located in south eastern Ohio about 3 1/2 hours south of Mark Bolina.

Hmmm, I think Achilles is in your area.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

Warbow

I pulled the carburetor off and it dosen't have any other markings. If the rebuild kit brings it back to life then I'm not going to worry about it.

As for the air cleaner and preheat flap. My cleaner is missing the whole flap assembly.  I'll look around for another cleaner with the assembly but until then what should I do? Should I just run it as-is?

Thanks

Warbow

Bookwus

Hiya War,

In going back and looking at your picture again it does look as if the flaps are missing.  It's quite possible that a PO pulled those flaps (there are actually two flaps in the airhorn) because the cable broke or was removed.  Truth be told, the really difficult part to obtain in this 1970 preheat set-up is the cable and its connecting parts.  That's why many just chucked the 1970 style air filter and went with the 1971 and up air filter style which incorporated its own thermostat thus doing away with the need for a cable set-up.

And do run the air filter as it is now.  It is a very good air filter, much better than the aftermarket replacement stuff.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

Warbow

Bookwus

This looks like a 1970 air cleaner, yes? It appears to be missing the cable.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=534955

I'm not going to buy it but you said you were looking for one. I've got to limit my spending for the short term to appease my wife.

Bookwus

Hiya War,

You are good!  I've been haunting the Samba looking for one and the only one I turned up was this one.............

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=727982

Heaven only knows how much the guy wants for that one.

Thanks for the tip.........I think I'm gonna jump that one.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

Warbow

This exactly like my carburetor.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=748157

I'm still curious whether it is a 30pict-2 or 30pict-3.

Bookwus

Hiya War,

That is a bit of a mystery to me.  Looks as though it might be some sort of generic replacement for the 30PICT series carbs.  I really dunno.  However I have the question in to my source authority.  I'm hoping that we can turn up a couple of facts for you.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

Bookwus

Hiya War,

I heard back from my "source", Keith over at the Samba.  Keith is in the business of rebuilding and rebushing VW carburetors.  He is highly respected and knows his stuff.  In his words your carburetor is....

"80's model Japanese carb... POS..."

You might want to look at getting another carburetor.  Go for a rebuilt AutoStick specific Solex before ANYTHING else.  And you might want to contact Keith (keifernet) about that.  He can help you to no end.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

Warbow

I'm not surprised it's a POS replacement.

Thank you for your help and I'll keep Keith in mind when I start looking for a replacement.

Warbow

The good news is that the engine seems to run great when it is bottle feed. But, the more I work on my POS aftermarket carburetor the more convinced I become that it MUST be replaced. That being said, I know that the Solex 30 pict-3 was the original carburetor on my 1970 AS Bug. If I find a decent 30 pict-3, how badly is the 009 distributor going to react with it?

I also found a crack in the vacuum hose going to the vacuum tank and one of the other vacuum hoses has been replaced with a new hose that is so weak that you can pinch it closed with your fingers. I'm going to replace them all. In the "Sources for Autostick Parts" sticky thread, Belmetric RH12W hose is mentioned. Is 2 meters the correct amount to order? I don't want to find out that I'm 3 inches short or that I could have gotten by with only 1 meter. If anyone has ordered from them recently what type of cost are we talking?

I know it sounds like I'm being cheap. In a way I am. I convinced my wife to let me buy this Bug with the logic that this would give our family (me!) another vehicle to drive. Currently all she sees is a non-running vehicle and me crawling all over it stating I need more money for this and that. If I can get this baby moving then I can get the funds moving.

Tonight, I get to pull out the multi-meter and tackle the electrical problems. First up is testing the headlights to see if they are burnt out or whether I have a wiring problem. If it's just burnt out headlights then it's onto the windshield wipers.

Bookwus

Hiya War,

Quote from: Warbow on 18 March 2009, 15:23
The good news is that the engine seems to run great when it is bottle feed. But, the more I work on my POS aftermarket carburetor the more convinced I become that it MUST be replaced. That being said, I know that the Solex 30 pict-3 was the original carburetor on my 1970 AS Bug. If I find a decent 30 pict-3, how badly is the 009 distributor going to react with it?

Correct on the 30PICT3.  And do know that the 30PICT3 that was used on AutoSticks is a specific carburetor as opposed to the ones used on manuals.  A 30PICT3 intended for a manual can be adapted for use on an AutoStick however.  

The 009 can work with the 30PICT3 but you will be much happier either with the original vacuum only distributor or an SVDA.

QuoteI also found a crack in the vacuum hose going to the vacuum tank and one of the other vacuum hoses has been replaced with a new hose that is so weak that you can pinch it closed with your fingers. I'm going to replace them all. In the "Sources for Autostick Parts" sticky thread, Belmetric RH12W hose is mentioned. Is 2 meters the correct amount to order? I don't want to find out that I'm 3 inches short or that I could have gotten by with only 1 meter. If anyone has ordered from them recently what type of cost are we talking?

I believe that 2 meters of hosing is actually a just a bit more than you'll actually need.  Somebody out there needs to check me on that however.  Belmetric is spendy.  I don't recall how much per foot, but I do remember that one person here who had ordered from them said that they charged retail and then there's the shipping also.  But it is the original stuff!  You might want to check out reinforced hosing at a local hydraulics shop.  That may be a cheaper way to go.

QuoteI know it sounds like I'm being cheap. In a way I am. I convinced my wife to let me buy this Bug with the logic that this would give our family (me!) another vehicle to drive. Currently all she sees is a non-running vehicle and me crawling all over it stating I need more money for this and that. If I can get this baby moving then I can get the funds moving.

Man, I hear you!  Money don't grow on trees.

QuoteTonight, I get to pull out the multi-meter and tackle the electrical problems. First up is testing the headlights to see if they are burnt out or whether I have a wiring problem. If it's just burnt out headlights then it's onto the windshield wipers.

Best of luck.  Let us know if you run into problems.
Mike

1970 AS Bug