Latest pics of my 1970 Autostick A/C Ghia

Started by autonewbie, 27 October 2010, 15:51

Previous topic - Next topic

autonewbie

When I  was 15 I wanted a Ghia....It only took me 47 years to get one!   1970 Karmann Ghia Autostick.

hercdriver

Beautiful Ghia! I like the older style bumpers with red body paint.....very classy. Are the mechanicals as nice as the outside?
1973 AS Super "Otto"
1975 Westy "Julius"

autonewbie

Thanks for your comments.
Yes the engine and remainder of the car are in perfect shape. I added air conditioning to this car and the engine compartment is now crowded but serviceable. I also added a fuel pressure regulator and pressure gauge so there are now more hoses than normal.
After solving the hot Florida, hot carb, problem, it now starts and restarts without issue. I hope to keep this car until I am horizontal.
When I  was 15 I wanted a Ghia....It only took me 47 years to get one!   1970 Karmann Ghia Autostick.

original68

Beautiful Ghia! I'm also in Florida. How is the A/C working out for you? what System did you use?
1968 Vw Type 1 Autostick
2008 Audi A4 S line 6speed MT.

autonewbie

My system was installed by Gilmore Enterprises, 10870 49th st in Clearwater. 727 573 2944. Beware it is expensive to have him install it, but he does do a very professional job. Or you can install it yourself.
The system works super and doesn't load down the engine badly like the old systems did. More importantly, his system does not add the AC heat load to the engine. Competing systems do add the heat load and you can read their problems on the samba site.
By the way, you will need an alternator, in normal driving a generator just can't keep up with the additional 3 fans and compressor clutch.

original68

Thanks for the Info. Yeah i figured he wasn't cheap. But thats the price for year round comfort. It's just too uncomfortable in the summer months. not to mention all the wind buffeting and such on the highway is not fun either. Would be nice to ride around with the windows up.
1968 Vw Type 1 Autostick
2008 Audi A4 S line 6speed MT.

WPD

68autobug

Yes, I agree

an excellent looking Karmann Ghia...

this model was never sold in Australia , only a few were sold in 1959-60...

so, they are quite rare over here, although many have been imported in Australia from the USA these days..

and I saw one at a VW show and it was a RHD... and it had come from Japan.... also RHD..

I was going to Air Con My beetle, when I bought it...

but whether I ever do now???

LEE

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

68autobug

Quote from: autonewbie on 12 November 2010, 04:44
My system was installed by Gilmore Enterprises, 10870 49th st in Clearwater. 727 573 2944. Beware it is expensive to have him install it, but he does do a very professional job. Or you can install it yourself.
The system works super and doesn't load down the engine badly like the old systems did. More importantly, his system does not add the AC heat load to the engine. Competing systems do add the heat load and you can read their problems on the samba site.
By the way, you will need an alternator, in normal driving a generator just can't keep up with the additional 3 fans and compressor clutch.

Hi
what do You mean the A/C heat load??
not sure what you mean..

Lee in Australia

-1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

autonewbie

The air conditioning system removes heat from inside the car and dumps that heat into the outside air via the condenser coil.
In the Gilmore system two electric fans on the condenser coil dump the heat into the outside air because the condenser and fans are mounted under the car.
Some other air conditioning systems mount the condenser coil behind the engine fan shroud. They use the engine fan to move the heat out of the condenser coil. This additional air conditioning heat is therefore preheating the engine fan air that is supposed to cool the engine.
In other words, the air conditioning heat load is added to the engine heat load because the engine cooling air has been preheated before it ever gets a chance to cool the engine.
I hope I made myself clear. Please let me know if you have any questions.

68autobug

Yes

OK on that...  It would seem stupid to put the condensor in the engine bay... lol
engines need all the cool air they can get...
especially when its HOT outside..

cheers

LEE