Replaced the original fan housing and fan with a later model one NEW COLOR TOO.

Started by 68autobug, 02 March 2012, 10:52

Previous topic - Next topic

68autobug

I have changed My original fan housing and narrow fan with a later model one from a dual port engine.
I also painted it glossy yellow with EPOXY paint.. and the red tinware is now glossy black. using the same epoxy paint
not sure how this ;paint will stand up to heat..  the paint I used before on the tinware before was VHT high temperature paint
not very shiny, so I painted gloss over the top...
When I first fitted the fan housing and carby etc, everything looked great until I fitted the fan belt..
the fan was binding inside the housing.. and when I tightened the alternator clamp, the fan couldn't be turned over at all.
I made up some aluminium shims and placed them under the alternator but it couldn't fix the problem..
so, out the alternator came... I then had to take it to My Son to loosen the fan nut which He had tightened with a rattle gun
and locktited it on... so there was no way I could get it off... so, I have it back now, and have fitted the alternator with more shims
under the fan and it looks like I have fixed the problem... I haven't bolted it all back together yet, but the clamp is on
and there is no way I can get the fan to rub now... all I have to do is tighten the nut, fit the fan belt etc...
and I should be up & running again...  If the fan housing was just flat black and everything else was too...
I could have done the job very quickly... but because everything is painted different colors, I need to be very careful..
its makes every job 10 times harder and longer... lol

cheers

LEE  in Australia

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

johnr

68autobug

Hi John r

But what will I do if it all turns a horrible green or something...??  lol

If that happens...  I think it will all end up flat black.. lol

I forgot to push the accelerator cable thru the fan housing...
then by accident pulled the cable out the back... !!! over the gearbox..
and I've trying for two days to get it thru... the tube...

My hand just won't reach that far...
tried from the RHS .. took rear wheel off...
then went over to the LHS .. took that wheel off [put other back on]
found I need to be on the RHS... so I took that one off...
Now I've put it back on and back to the LHS wheel... lol
I still can't reach it... I'm going to try pushing a small pvc hose thru the hole and see if I can push the accelerator cable thru it...
fingers crossed...  if not... then the LHS heater box has to come off...

unless I can find some one with a small hand and a very long arm... lol

One good thing.. I did get the engine running... had the pertronix disconnected at first.. and naturally had no spark..
had to check out all the wires one by one... lol   eyes weren't working properly...

cheers

LEE

-1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

68autobug

anyway, now its going OK again, but as I always forget to mark the wires,
so, My temperature gauge and licence plate light
don't work.. I hooked up the licence plate lamp to the coil, so its on with the ignition... lol
I must admit I have the same problems every time I take the fan housing or engine out... lol
and My oil pressure gauge hasn't worked correctly for a long time either..  lol

cheers

LEE in Australia

68autobug

Well
When I went to tighten the fan belt the fan was touching the housing.
so, I had to take the fan and alternator out again and fit more shims,
then I had to fit a home made shim under the alternator to finally fix the problem
I have found the new doghouse oil cooler is working excellent.
Much better than I expected., even though the actual doghouse fan is only a few mms wider than the original fan.
so, VW knew what they were doing.. lol

I still haven't found the missing wires..lol??
now summer has just about gone, and looking forward to driving My beetle with the heater ON..

pic of the original fan and the worn out hole which shouldn't be nearly round.. badly worn

cheers

Lee in Australia

johnr

Hello Lee:  I'm glad everything has worked out finally!  I just got my computer back from the shop a couple of days ago,  so am too late to commiserate with you.  I always take loads of pictures with my trusty digital camera when taking anything apart.  It has helped!  Summer is SUPPOSED to
be on the way up here but I wish it would hurry up.

68autobug

Hi John
nothing seems to be easy for Me...lol
I just had two days without headlamps..  lol
lucky it wasn't really dark..  I just checked them again and found a loose connection to the fusebox
I just soldered them to the fusebox so it won't come loose in a hurry.
Now to find out where the other wires are..LOL
usually, I just run more wires.. seems easier as You know exactly where they are coming from..
I want My oil temperature gauge to work to showMe how much cooler the doghouse fan and housing are
so, far they are just amazing.. although I haven't been for any long trips yet..
so, I don't think the paint is going to melt.. :) :) :)

cheers

Lee in Australia

I bought a cheap laptop John, and now find I can only get on here on My Laptop..
can't get on with My normal computer??
and I cannot get emails on here.. My Son said that is normal.. only one can get them!!
Oh well..  I can do most other things on here, its just remembering what computer I need to go on...lol
I have to work out why I cannot see photos that people put on here..??
it depends on how they put them on....??  so I'm doing something wrong... I had the same problem with My PC Computer too..

cheers

LEE

johnr

I re-wired my back-up lights because I couldn't find the wires.  They are probably still in there somewhere,  hiding.  We all seem to be having computer problems!  Getting too dependent on
the darn things!

68autobug

Hi John
I just add extra wires... so now I've got all these wires that go... who knows..lol
I haven't driven far in My beetle just around town...
but the doghouse oil cooler is working great... lol
as everyone told Me it would.. lol
I've been having a lot of problems on here with My computer
I also have a laptop and I can mostly get on here on it but NOT My computer??
but I can't look at My profile etc.. comes up with ERROR..
I wrote a very long reply to a fellow a while ago and when I pressed the post button
it got deleted and I had to log in again...??
Hopefully My Son [a computer person-works on one all day;;lol]
can find out what is happening...  I did have a problem about a year or so ago
and Bjorn fixed it up for Me.. but I don't know how to contact Him now..
I cannot see the photos people put up.. well.. 99%  of them..
Hottest April day here for 10 years..lol and coldest summer for 100 years..lol
also wettest summer for many many years.. floods in lots of places..
and last night was the coldest april night for 10 years...  weird weather..

cheers

Lee in Australia

johnr

We are having lots of flooding too!  The Coquille river runneth over!  My wife's
laptop has been in the shop for a week because the repairman is flooded in, or
so he says and can't make it to work!

68autobug

Quote from: johnr on 02 April 2012, 16:16
We are having lots of flooding too!  The Coquille river runneth over!  My wife's
laptop has been in the shop for a week because the repairman is flooded in, or
so he says and can't make it to work!

Hi Johnr
Hope You have it back now...lol
well Bjorn on here fixed My problems I had on here.
I think My other problem was I was on VWAR on My laptop then tried to hook up again with My home computer..
which doesn't work...??
hottest April ever.. so far here 30C every day... getting cooler tonight and tomorrow,,,..
winter is coming...lol

cheers

LEE