VW1200LS semi-automatic from 9-1976

Started by Airpseed, 25 October 2017, 22:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Airpseed

Just aquired this mostly original VW1200LS from sept 1976, so its model year '77 (chassisnr starts with 117).

It has a 1600 engine and disk brakes up front  :D and its great fun to drive, although it slams the gears from neutral, reverse is worse then 1st gear. I have turned-in the screw on top of the Control Valve and that helped a lot, but now 1st gear doesn't always engage anymore, so I may turn it back up a little. Reverse is still a bit of a 'clunk', but its not very annoying ;-)

Don't worry, first thing I did was remove the fuel filter and replaced it with a new one piece fuel hose  ;)
VW1200LS, 1976 1,6ltr

olgunc

Possibly, there is a leak on the air tank or hoses;

Airpseed

Quote from: olgunc on 07 November 2017, 10:09
Possibly, there is a leak on the air tank or hoses;
Thanks, but wouldn't that not deminish or lessen how hard it would engage?
I think vacuum is plenty there, it just engages (too) fast.

I think its just the way it is: with cold start, it has a higher idle (of course) and that also will make the torque-converter use a higher value at the moment 1st gear or reverse (even more so as its a lower gear) engages.
At the lower hot idle, it engages much more gentle, especially 1st forward gear.

It runs pretty smoothly now, adjusted the steering play, which had never even been touched or so it seemed  ;)
Really like the little car!
Replaced one rotten rear fender, much better now, even though I misinterpret the color coding as I though it was L11A (Riadgelb), but old color seems lighter. Anyways, I like this new yellow better then the old fainted yellow on the car. I did look pretty good, but the car never seems repainted...(?)
Maybe a bith certificate will give certainty what the original color was.

VW1200LS, 1976 1,6ltr

KerryFas

I love that yellow color. Congrats on the purchase, Airpseed. Are you planning any mods?

volkenstein

Airspeed,
            Hmmm...rarity in a few countries. VW1200 & your engine pic don't gel. I see dual heatrisers ala '74 model. I would gather you aren't in the US or Aus?

Read off the numbers for your engine...you may have a 1300 TP.

Regardless - I smell a Brosol 30/31 Pict carb....not a good choice with the distributor you appear to have.

Other than that...is it an R & P steering front?

HTH
Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

68autobug

Hi Sean,
Best wishes for the new year. I haven't heard of an autostick with 1200 cc engine. 1300 in the UK & Europe.  Even the badge seems very odd.  1200LS which I presume meant Deluxe [luxury sedan]??
Did any autostick models have rack & pinion steering??
A local here who had a manual 1976 beetle has swapped the body from a 1965 standard onto the 1976 NON super chassis...
I have just changed My 68 autostick onto a CLUB registration as the NSW law has been changed and with a club registration You can drive Your car on 60 days of the year. Naturally You need to join a car club.  I now have Historic number plates to put on, once the temperature drops below 30c degrees....!!!  I don't normally drive My beetle more than 60 days a year..

Lee

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug