clutch servo freeplay adjustment

Started by Checker, 21 February 2021, 20:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Checker

Guys, sorry to ask for this as a new topic, I'm sure it has been covered a zillion time before... could just not find any step by step instructions that I can fully understand.

I took the servo along with the adjustable link out for inspection and cleaning.
The servo was cleaned, bench tested and confirmed to be in good working order, ready to be re-installed.
I also disassembled the adjustable link, cleaned everything, lubricated all threads, ready to be re-installed as well.

To my surprise I noticed that the clutch lever is free to move, no return spring action like on a manual tranny.

Anyhow I'm in a position to start the freeplay adjustment from scratch... but I'm not quite sure I understand the process...
The adjusting sleeve can be screwed on the servo's threaded rod and the clutch arm threaded eye end can be screwed in the adjusting sleeve's but is there a basic adjustment to start with ? (amount of threads in sleeve or else)

Can somebody explain me the step by step freeplay adjustment from scratch procedure ?

Thanks

bhartwell59

I've used the orange Bentley manual (I have a '74 Ghia) as a starting point for the clutch adjustment. There's an autostick section that explains things.

Do you have a Bentley manual?
1974 zambezi green Ghia vert

Checker

I don't have a Bentley manual, I do have a Haynes manual though, it adresses this adjustment but I don't quite understand it.

It says that a dimension is required on the adjustable link, on servo side but since the rod end on the clutch lever side can be screwed in or out as I want and that the clutch lever has a lot of free movement... not quite sure..

volkenstein

Checker,
           PM sb001 on here or the samba for a copy of the A-S section. First thing is you have to set the servo arm to a specific length. That is the start point.

I'll see what I can find.

HTH
Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

volkenstein

Read this : http://vwar.org/old_forum/index.php?topic=445.msg2038#msg2038 . NB a lot of good stuff is on the OLD FORUM section which you can only get to from the initial homepage of vwar.

Enjoy
Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

Checker

ok thanks, I just had a quick look at the thread and it looks like this other guy had the same questions as I have so that should be good !

68autobug

I actually made up two adjusters ,but I couldn't get them to work out the clutch... I had also taken the clutch arm off.... but some how it all works perfect... the clutch does need a bit of adjustment now & then.... but the clutch plate doesn;t really wear that much.. as the clutch is either in or out....

Lee in Australia
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Checker

Hello guys, did anybody ear about a Jockey Shifter for motorcycles ?
You just have to Google "Jockey Shifter"

I'm thinking of making myself one for my AS Bug.
Could be a fun technical challenge... not that complicated.

Mechanical clutch actuation on the shifter handle...