'68 Semi Auto

Started by FlamingChris, 21 September 2008, 14:48

Previous topic - Next topic

FlamingChris

This is my '68 semi-auto that i picked up on sunday. The guy i bought it off took it apart 20 years ago after the engine broke, he then had it resprayed and had the transaxle overhauled but never got round to putting it back togther. It's now my job to put it back togther which i imagine will involve me staring at parts for hours on end trying to work out what they're for. I removed the wings yesterday as they incorrect for the year and the next job is to have it resprayed, although i can't decide on a colour, and work out whats wrong with the engine.

Bookwus

Hiya Chris,

You are one lucky guy.

Most of get into projects with really dirty and grungy cars and parts.  You are starting off relatively clean and with a rebuilt transaxle to boot.  Very nice.

Some observations and questions..............

Looks as though your rear decklid is also not appropriate for 1968.  An OEM 1968 decklid would have no vents.  The vents were in troduced to sedans in 1970 with the larger 1600 engine for cooling.

Does your engine turn by hand?  What is all the yellow stuff on the right of the fan shroud?  Did you get a distributor in your parts stash?

Parts for the sunroof can be very difficult to locate.  You might want to make that an early priority if you seem to be missing some.

When you run into a part that puzzles you, just post up a picture of it and we'll chime in with our thoughts.

Have fun!

Mike

1970 AS Bug

FlamingChris

Hey,

That yellow stuff is a sponge that the previous owner stuffed to, i assume, soak up the oil from the air filter. The engine does turn by hand, it does feel a bit rough but i can't be sure if thats the flex plate rubbing against the back of the trolley it's currently on or whether it's something a little more serious. I found a dizzy in with all the other parts but there are a lot of spares and mutliples of many bits as well, i have four dynamo's and six wing mirrors! Onto the sunroof, fortunately, i believe i have al the parts. I had the manual out yesterday checking to see how it fit and all the other parts are taped up to it, seems like the guy i bought it off knew it was going to be some time before it was back together again.

Bookwus

Hiya Chris,

You are now a regular parts inventory warehouse!

A thought...............

Because of the non-68 fenders (wings) and the non-68 decklid and the multiplicity of parts in general, a question occurs to me.  Did the previous owner ever have the car in a running condition?  As in a complete MOT certified, road ready condition?

The reason I ask is this; if the car was on the road, you are reasonably assured that most vital parts will be there.  On the other hand, if this car was purchased by the previous owner as a project (much as you did) there may be important parts missing.

Well, I'm sure you'll be spending some time doing an inventory in the coming weeks.  That should give you an idea if you have the complete car or if you'll have to scrounging and buying.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

FlamingChris

That i cannot be sure of, i know at some point it actually moved but i can only go on what the previous owner told me, i can only assume if what he told me was correct that he liked the look of them and that he liked the look of them and decided to fit what he liked rather than keep it standard.

Bookwus

Hiya Chris,

Be sure to keep us posted.  Use the camera a bunch.  We'll be looking forward to seeing how this one comes together!
Mike

1970 AS Bug

68autobug

Hi
thanks for the pics... makes My mouth water...
looks really great... lucky to stsrt with a car in good condition..
If You have the headlamps and tail lamps to fit the fenders
I would use them to get the car on the road..   lol

I have a 1976 engine cover with all the vents on My car
to stop any overheating in the hot summers We have..
but I have taped up the vents from under the lid
for winter....  I'd keep the engine lid seeing its painted...

I have actually seen two 1968 original beetles
with the sloping headlamps and early tail lamps
One was sold in France and the other was sold in Australia in 1968
all the paperwork was in the glovebox...
it was meant to go to another country, but was offloaded and sold in Sydney
and was a one owner car... both cars were white standard beetles
that is, they were NOT de luxe models - no chrome etc..

Next question is - Are you going to take the heads off the engine?
to check everything is clean inside there..
moisture may have gotten into any cylinders which have open
exhaust valves...  could be a bit of rust in a cylinder..

Best of Luck with the restoration..

and keep the camera close by...

cheers

Lee

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

FlamingChris

That engine's gonna be fully stripped down, i don't know whats wrong with it so i might as well take a look.

68autobug

Quote from: FlamingChris on 22 September 2008, 15:03
That engine's gonna be fully stripped down, i don't know whats wrong with it so i might as well take a look.

thats good news..
as you can see in the exhaust ports there is a bit of corrosion in there
so it all needs to be cleaned up..

I also recommend you change the two oil seals in the ATF/engine oil pump... [evw]
and the torque converter seal... and naturally the crankshaft seal...
and push rod tube seals...

it doesn't take much moisture in a cylinder to pit the wall of the cylinder
You only need to replace the one cylinder if its pitted...

best of luck

Lee

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

-1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

Bookwus

Hiya 68,

Yes.  Good advice from Lee concerning replacing the seals.

And I would add...........

Take a hard look at the oil cooler and its seals while you have everything apart.  I'm rebuilding my 1600 SP Bus engine right now and I'm electing to modify it for a doghouse oil cooler.  That will get the oil cooler out of the way of cooling air for cylinder number 3 and, hopefully, add to the life of the engine.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

68autobug

Mike
I believe having a doghouse oil cooler will keep number 3 cylinder the same temp as the others.
and its a modification VW did themselves..
so it has to be Good.

cheers

Lee

FlamingChris

Can someone tell me what the hole in the front center is for, i've been trawling the internet and haven't found an answer yet!

volkenstein

FlamingChris,
                 That's where your shifter rod comes out of the tunnel on a standard model bug. Supers have what is known as a "deformation plate" on the frame head for that purchase. It's been a while, but IIRC there is another hole in the spare wheel well or the frame head between the beams which has a cover. Remove the two covers and out comes your shift rod.

HTH
Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

Bookwus

Hiya Chris,

Yes, Sean's got it!

If you look straight back through the hole you SHOULD see a cover plate for the hole on the rear side of the spare tire well.  When that is removed you should see an oval shaped cover plate (held in place with two 10 mm bolts) covering the the access into the central tunnel.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

68autobug

I've had all the covers and the front round piece off but I've yet to actually take the shifter
rod out as yet...
hopefully I never will have to..   
and i've never seen one out either...

so they must last forever..
and they are probably left inside the tunnel when a chassis is crushed etc..

Lee

;D ;D