Flared tailpipes

Started by johnr, 23 September 2009, 04:31

Previous topic - Next topic

johnr

I just installed a spiffy set of flared tailpipes.  Something I've wanted for a long time.  But when I fired her up,  I was surprised at how much noisier the exhaust was!  Is this normal with trumpet-type pipes?  Or have I broken something (again)?  The exhaust system is stock otherwise. :-\

greenghia

Hi John,   Yep the tailpipes are part of the exhaust silencing system. Brand new ones go fwwwt fwwwt fwwwt with the engine running. I haven't seen a pair of flared pipes that were anything other than pipes so the noise is going to increase by probably 50 percent.  Thats the price of those glimmering chrome trumpets  ;D

volkenstein

John,
       I've got a set, more bullet shape than trumpet. I can see the absorption baffles in them and I'd say they are about 30% louder than stock. But...take that with a grain of salt as my hearing is totally rubbish anyway ;D .

Regards
Sean
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

johnr

Whew!  Thanks guys!  I guess I can put up with the noise as I like the looks of the pipes.  I had my first VW
(1955) as a teenager and put straight pipes on it,  no muffler! Sounded like a Harley.  This isn't nearly as bad.   ;)

68autobug

Quote from: johnr on 23 September 2009, 04:31
I just installed a spiffy set of flared tailpipes.  Something I've wanted for a long time.  But when I fired her up,  I was surprised at how much noisier the exhaust was!  Is this normal with trumpet-type pipes?  Or have I broken something (again)?  The exhaust system is stock otherwise. :-\

Hi John

I had to search over here in Australia for a while to find the flared tail pipes
with inbuilt mufflers.. so they were very quiet....
only used them on long distances....
I now have a new exhaust system with a quiet muffler out the RHS...

cheers

LEE

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

johnr

I wish I had known, Lee.  The old tailpipes of course have baffles,  but the flared ones don't.

68autobug

Quote from: johnr on 29 September 2009, 17:16
I wish I had known, Lee.  The old tailpipes of course have baffles,  but the flared ones don't.

Hi John,
Here is a photo of My muffled/baffled pipes

I suppose they should be called mufflers..  lol

I did have two straight pieces of stainless steel I normally used
but found them a bit too noisy on long trips...
plus My Wife wouldn't drive My beetle because of the noise...

cheers

LEE

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug