BETTER PICS LOADED-- Now have AC installed! IMPORTANT UPDATE SEE POST #14

Started by autonewbie, 30 January 2010, 03:04

Previous topic - Next topic

autonewbie

Here in Florida AC is pretty much mandatory for us old farts.
Today I got my Ghia autostick back from Gilmore Enterprises with a brand new AC system installed. He did a beautiful job and it cools like a meat freezer. As I drive the car, I can hardly feel when the AC kicks in. Its a nice running system.
Prior to giving the car to Gilmore, I installed an electric idle solinoide. When the AC compressor kicks in, the solinoide steps up the idle speed just a bit and the car just drives and idles beautifully.
Ken

When I  was 15 I wanted a Ghia....It only took me 47 years to get one!   1970 Karmann Ghia Autostick.

volkenstein

Ken,
     IIRC HotVW's just covered that type of installation of that particular unit? Schweet anyway!
The Aircon in my wife's Cosmetic Bag ToyMota just about slaughters the poor little donk. Good to hear the unit isn't affecting the donk much.

Photobucket is your friend...once you've uploaded the photie just click on the IMG code tab and it peforms a windows "edit/copy" for you, then you just paste it into your topic over here.

Enjoy
Sean
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

Bookwus

OK...........I don't want to complain (you know I'm gonna!).............but I'm not seeing any pictures at all.

No link, no nuttin. In any of the posts.

Help!
Mike

1970 AS Bug

TheZooniverse

gah... i would love one of those, Jersey summer is pretty humid on occasion would be nice for the unbearably disgusting days.

hercdriver

Looks great Newbie!

You're all set for this summer. Where did you buy the A/C? Local vendor or online? Any links to their web site?

Dave
1973 AS Super "Otto"
1975 Westy "Julius"

autonewbie

Here is the link to the place where I bought the AC and had it installed.
http://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/GH/index.htm
When I  was 15 I wanted a Ghia....It only took me 47 years to get one!   1970 Karmann Ghia Autostick.

Bookwus

Hiya Ken,

NOW I see the pictures!

Nice installation on an even nicer car.  Be sure to let us know how the AC works when it gets really oppressive down there.  I'd also be interested in your views of how it affects your mileage and power.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

68autobug

Hi

I take it You don't need heaters in Florida??

LEE
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

autonewbie

Actually heaters are seldom used here in Florida. Having said that, we are currently having the coldest winter in 20 years. Oh well, once every 20 years isn't too bad.
I have driven my Ghia on the coldest day recently, and the nice thing is even though it is in the 30's in the wee hours of the morning, usually by the sunny afternoon, it is in the 50's. I can live with that and no heater.
On the other hand, the long summer can be brutally hot. AC is a must for frail old men like me.
I could get by without the AC if I had two 22 year old maidens to fan me constantly. Sadly, they are as scarce as quality German parts.

Brock

whats something like that run ya? im in NC and would love AC its something i could add to my list but what was your total cost for the whole job?

Bookwus

Hiya Ken,

Quote from: autonewbie on 12 February 2010, 03:26
I could get by without the AC if I had two 22 year old maidens to fan me constantly. Sadly, they are as scarce as quality German parts.

Hmmmmm..............something really should be done about that!   ;)
Mike

1970 AS Bug

autonewbie

The exact cost for this system was $2248.00 installed including tax.
If I had done the installation myself, it would have been about $1500.00.
The job could have been done about $100.00 cheaper if I had gone with the one belt system. I preferred the two belt system with an extra pulley on the crank. In my car, the two belt system provided more clearance for the distributor vacuum can. I suspect each engine compartment will be a little different.

autonewbie

Here is an air conditioning tip for those thinking about adding AC to their vehicle:
Even tho I added an alternator to my Karmann Ghia, the German wiring was not too happy with the added load. I monitored low voltage at stoplights, and a general strain on the entire electrical system.
My solution was to run a fused 6 gauge stranded wire directly from the positive battery terminal to a new barrier terminal strip I installed behind the dash. All the air conditioning wires were removed from the fuse panel and connected to the new barrier terminal. I used a 30 amp relay to turn the new power line off and on via a switched source at the old fuse panel.
The difference in operation is amazing. The turn signals do not slow down at stoplights, the idle voltage is higher, and everything works well.
As an added bonus, I also connected the horns to this new power supply line and now they blow louder and work reliably.
The added power line was well worth the effort.
I thought I'd share this with those that are thinking of adding AC to these older cars.

68autobug

Hi
I rewired My beetle when I restored it..
I wave seperate wires for every item...lol
and I have 4 x 10mm cables from the battery to behind the dash...
recently , I replaced the original fusebox for a new version with the later type of push in fuses.
I am also using a few circuit breakers..  plus I have a VOLT Meter in My dash...
I would really love to have air conditioning as it can get to 44C here in the summer months
and its usually over 35C in November- December and January..
although last summer wasn't too bad... as I don't drive My beetle in those high temperatures.

cheers

LEE

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

autonewbie

I want to let everyone know that Gilmore AC is now selling the exact unit I bought but with a newly designed dash unit. The new unit has a total of 4 air outlets. The old unit (what I have) has 5 air outlets. More importantly the new unit design severely restricts the air output into the car and has other restrictive flaws.
I know this because my best buddy had Gilmore install AC into his Ghia with poor results. Gilmore made two attempts to make the system work properly but his efforts made almost no improvement.
ALL THIS CAN BE CORRECTED. But, it took my buddy and I two days to make the system work. The entire inside unit had to be dismantled and redesigned. After spending $2248.00 to have Gilmore install a properly working AC unit, it was very frustrating to have to expend all this effort to correct the system.
I post this to make all aware of this new design that is being sold.
Our experience applies to the dash unit that is made for Ghia's. I do not know if his Beetle design has the same issues.
Keep in mind the major components of both old and new systems (Compressor, condenser, evaporator) are identical. The only thing changed is the design of the dash air vent housing, ducting, and control placement.