News:

This forum is opened for archival purpose, users will be able to search for old information but not post.

Main Menu

Hi from northern Canada!

Started by tkorol, January 11, 2007, 05:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tkorol

I bought a 69 Autostick Beetle in 03 and brought it to road-worthy condition (just) :wink: The car is complete and original, although it has suffered some rust, a few dings and a so-so paint job.  I enjoyed driving it around a bit the summer before last.

Then things started to go wrong one by one  :cry:  and after some half-hearted efforts, I'm now rolling up my sleeves and getting serious about my hobby!  After dealing with the ol pump and some vacuum hoses, among other things, I should be be back on the road.  Then I can spend some time on the body.

I'm really glad to see a forum and site like this devoted to the semi-auto.  I stumbled across this site in a Google search and am finding myself back here often looking for technical info.

Terry

P.S. In case you're wondering, it does get cold up here and I intend to just drive the car in the summer, although it does have a working gas heater.

bookwus

Hiya Terry,

Welcome to the group!

Maintaining an AutoStick is really no harder than maintaining any other sort of car.  There is just a little bit of knowledge and experience one needs in order to make a go of it.  I'm sure you will do fine.

Along that line, do know that there are a bunch of folks here on this forum who can and will help you with any problems you might encounter.  So make sure that you check back in often.  And let us know just what is going on with your car.  The more we hear, the more we learn.  So this forum benefits you and the rest of us at the same time.

Do you have a copy of Robert Bentley's Official VW Service Manual for the Type 1?  If not visit Amazon.com and check out the prices for this book.  It is generally regarded as the best tech manual for VWs and it does have the single best section on AutoStick repair and maintenance.

I'm guessing that Fort Smith does not have a VWFLAPS.  And in that case, if you need any references for good online parts supply, let us know.  One outfit that seems to carry quite a bit of AS related parts is eVW back in Maryland.  Most of us do have parts stashed away or we know of a local source or two, so don't be shy about asking for parts here either.

Best of luck with your Bug!
ike

70 AS Bug

tkorol

I've got the the Bentley manual and find it very helpful.  Also, I have the John Muir book - another great resource although not too much help with Autostick.

I am trying out eVW.  I tend to do most shopping online anyway so that is OK.

Terry