News:

This forum is opened for archival purpose, users will be able to search for old information but not post.

Main Menu

How many auto stick VWs are still on the roads?

Started by Wayne Venomous, November 06, 2006, 08:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68AutoBug

Herbie looks great... and that towel rail bumper makes him look like a real Herbie....

but after watching that latest Herbie movie a few times...
there were a lot of modifications to those Herbies.....
there were certainly a lot of beetles used in that movie....

I am pleased with the way My Beetle goes in LOW gear, and really pleased with it in 1st gear....
although I'm in a country town, without traffic lights, but I think I keep up with the traffic OK... especially in 1st gear....

I believe there maybe now about 40 road registered Semi Auto beetles in Australia, as there have been many for sale recently....
and it may be as high as 50....

I know years ago, they were sought after to get a beetle chassis with IRS rear suspension, as the 1968-69-70-71-72-73-74 Non Supers all has swinging rear axles.... only the Supers and the 1976 Non supers had IRS rear suspension....

but 10 years ago, it was difficult to find anyone who even knew about the semi auto beetles... [in Australia]

Lee Noonan - 68AutoBug -

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
ttp://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug
--- 68AutoBug  ---  Lee  ---  Australia ---
-- helping keep Air Cooled Volkswagen Automatics on the road -  Around the World --

Wayne Venomous

Quote from: "68AutoBug"I know years ago, they were sought after to get a beetle chassis with IRS rear suspension, as the 1968-69-70-71-72-73-74 Non Supers all has swinging rear axles.... only the Supers and the 1976 Non supers had IRS rear suspension....
Sounds about the same as the UK Bugs. In fact non of the non-supers had IRS even right up to 1978!

With my Baja Bug (which is currently swing axle) the plan is eventually to graft on the rear suspension from a scrap 1989 BMW 5-series I have in my back yard:

I'll be installing a Type 2 Baywindow gearbox in place of the BMW's differential unit - which is easier than first thought as I've discovered the BMW's CV joints match the Type 2's output shaft bolt pattern. Also means I get rear disk brakes for free!