News:

This forum is opened for archival purpose, users will be able to search for old information but not post.

Main Menu

Standart body automatic

Started by autostandart, March 16, 2007, 04:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

autostandart

Hi everyone.
I'm very glad that theres the VW Automatic Register :D . I'm about to buy a 72 model semiauto beetle with the standart body option. (pre 67 bumper blades, early wings and stoplights, 67 US spec front fenders but with short bonnet & engine lid of the later models) The autostick trans has been removed a few years ago, but I intend to put back the autostick transmission. What really confuses me is the fact that the bug has the German spec. '72 "1200 standart" bodystyle but the 1300 dp engine and autostick running gear. Was this a factory option?
The car is extremely original, so I doupt that the floor pan & drivetrain(or body) has been changed by a previous owner. Can you help me out on this one?
Thanks alot.

bookwus

Hiya Auto,

Welcome to the group!

We have regular contributors from all over the world.  That's a big plus for us, but it can cause some confusion at times.  We need to be quite clear about the details concerning the car AND our location.

For example, I'm guessing that you are located in Europe.  Reason?  All AutoSticks imported to the USA (to the best of my knowledge) were 1600s, either single port or dual port.  German market specifications are not widely known on this side of the pond.  Perhaps somebody with a European background can help you out.
ike

70 AS Bug

Calisupastarz

Quote from: "bookwus"For example, I'm guessing that you are located in Europe.  Reason?  All AutoSticks imported to the USA (to the best of my knowledge) were 1600s, either single port or dual port.

Not exactly true, as the USA Autosticks from 1968 and 1969 came with 1500 single port motors, like mine.  Also 1968 USA Autosticks were the first in the United States to have IRS, after 68 all US Beetles came equipped with IRS.

bookwus

Hiya Cali,

You are absolutely correct!  Sheesh!  I should have (and did) know better.  I've been wrapped up lately in getting ready to rebuild all three of my 1600s, so I've got 1600 on the brain.  

But as long as auto got the message that the 1300 (or the 1200 for that matter) was not offered with an AutoStick (at any time) here in the USA, we're in reasonably good shape.

Thanks for keeping me honest!
ike

70 AS Bug

autostandart

I picked up the car yesterday. I'm head over heels. The 72 turned out to be in perfect original shape and theres no rust and it has never been welded before. And yes it's the standart body style with the 1300 dp engine. Theres no undercoating and the floors and sills are in great rustfree shape. İt just had one repaint job 6 years ago and the paint is looking good. As I mentioned before the autostick gearbox has been replaced with a manual box. But ı'm planning to convert it back to autostick with your help. I'll try to post the pics of my new ride. Thanks a lot.