purchased a disassembled bug without the autostick....now what

Started by muirfollower, 26 September 2016, 17:12

Previous topic - Next topic

muirfollower

Hi All,

Hope everyone is doing o.k, I am new to the VWAR community and have lots of questions about a VW Bug I bought last week here in North Carolina. I got it off Craigslist's List from a fellow who has had it public storage for quite a while and I am currently working with him on getting the NC Title re-assigned to me. It is more incomplete than disassembled; the owner prior to him tried in vane to collect all the IRS stick shift parts, and sold off all the Autostick parts. In preparation to bring the bug home, I have started buying autostick parts for it, that hopefully will work (which is main reason I have questions)

I hope picture opens o.k. it's prestine condition as you can tell Har, har, har!

Thanks!
Andrew

itskyle

fenders, lighting, and the autostick parts.

Lets see, you need at least:

1.) Autostick tranny and probably mounts
2.) Autostick shifter
3.) ATF fluid tank
4.) Torque Converter
5.) autostick control valve.
6.) autostick vacuum servo
7.) possibly autostick dizzy.
8.) not sure what else I'm missing, but I'm sure others can chime in.

nypater

Congrats on the buy. It's definitely a labor of love. Especially with an autostick as they get no props from the vw community at large. We are our own special type of insane. 😁
Most of the vitals are still available. Try to thesamba.com. Search autostick. Also this site has saved me more than once. A great group of friends.
And the best piece of advice I can offer is to get the Bentley manual for your year. They have very detailed information on autosticks.
Keep us posted!
+ Papa G.

volkenstein

muirfollower,
                   Is the engine still there? You *can* convert a manual one but your parts list will grow bigger. As for itskyles list - get yourself a spare tranny shift rod, dependant on year - you'll have to shorten it. You will also need a shift plate to go under your new gearstick...and a few lengths of wiring harness material. Still got a flexplate? AS Gland nut? Pedal Assembly?

AS hoses (hydraulic & steel) as well as 6 feet or wire re-inforced 12mm vac hose.

HTH
volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

muirfollower

Hi to all again,

Just a quick update I still haven't been able to obtain a new NC title and the bug is still in the storage lot. But I did get a used tranny, the majority of the laundry list you both mentioned, minus an autostick intake manifold, torque bolts, and small bit and pieces. On the plus side, parts that came with the car included the original flexplate, new in the box AC Industries front disk brake kit, NOS German Mahle P&C's and a 90% complete front suspension rebuild kit.
The short block looks like toast, but I have a spare block just in case. and am working on it in my spare time.

Ya'll Be Good
Andrew

muirfollower

Hi Everybody,
Well, it's been awhile since I last wrote. Strange as it may seem, I received this week in the mail, my North Carolina Title for my 71 Super Beetle Autostick.  I about jumped out of my skin when I saw it! This was after 109 back and forth texts between me and guy that has it, to get together to meet at the NC DMV. . And wait for it, here's the kicker, still don't have the car.... stop laughing :)

Andrew

Raymond73

Congrats on getting one step closer. Don't feel bad. I have a title and my car, but it's still sitting in the garage. One day I hope to be able to trust it well enough to take it out on the highway.

Raymond
'70 AS, 30 PICT-3

Dave

The best things come to those who wait!   

Good luck with your project, and enjoy :)
1300 1973 Beetle Autostick - Amber Orange - Tombstone rear lights

muirfollower

Hi All,

I have question about the AS motor, is possible to bench test the engine before going back into Bug once I rebuild it? I ask because it would seem the AS oil pump,being complex as it is wouldn't allow it, like you can with a stick shift motor. I would hate to rebuild it, throw it in with the existing used tranny and have it go to pot on the first try.
Just thoughts

thanks!
Andrew

itskyle

Quote from: muirfollower on 19 June 2017, 18:13
Hi All,

I have question about the AS motor, is possible to bench test the engine before going back into Bug once I rebuild it? I ask because it would seem the AS oil pump,being complex as it is wouldn't allow it, like you can with a stick shift motor. I would hate to rebuild it, throw it in with the existing used tranny and have it go to pot on the first try.
Just thoughts

thanks!
Andrew
Get a regular oil pump, I think they are swappable, for this purpose.

Kyle

VTghia73

Just make sure you get the correct oil pump for your engine-dished or flat cam. Search on The Samba to see the differences.
Gary

muirfollower

I agree with you both, my thought is to temporarily use a reg. oil pump and flywheel to break in and sort out the motor. Or just bite the bullet, put it all in the car and see what happens...

volkenstein

'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

68autobug

Quote from: muirfollower on 21 June 2017, 17:58
I agree with you both, my thought is to temporarily use a reg. oil pump and flywheel to break in and sort out the motor. Or just bite the bullet, put it all in the car and see what happens...

Hi,
I would say just to keep adding parts until You get them all, I bought a complete autostick set up from a burnt out beetle, which was great but You need to watch out exactly what You are getting as NON autostick people do forget about ALL the IMPORTANT special parts You will need like the plate under the gearshifter, plus the special gear lever with electrical points, special starter motor - special Engine oil/ATF dual pump, Control Valve ,  Gland nut and flexplate which are usually forgotten... Front gearbox mount, autostick pedals, Tanks etc.
Now as Most autostick owners would say, forget about the manual gearbox etc... as when I started out I changed everything including gearboxes in the first couple of years, but as My beetle was an autostick to start with.....  this made it much much easier...
I do believe You will need a complete "say rusted out or burnt out" complete autostick... that was being driven OK before the engine wore out etc... so You will have everything.
Don't forget to replace the seals in the engine oil/ATF Dual pump plus the torque converter oil seal... both VERY  IMPORTANT... the two seals in the dual pump keep the Engine oil on one side and the ATF fluid on the other...
hopefully these are still available at CIP1....??
Also replace the Vacuum and ATF Hoses as they have all passed the use by date by 20 years...
Probably NOT Good News.... but One where You will end up with a road going autostick beetle...

There are just so many SPECIAL AUTOSTICK parts.....
Once You have a complete unit that is working OK.. it will last for a long time....

LEE in Australia

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug