Author Topic: '68 Autostick restoration  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Hollis

'68 Autostick restoration
« on: 15 June 2010, 03:56 »
This our Daddy/daughter restoration project.   

We are painting the rims and getting new tires for the bug.  Thanks to this forum, the shifter is fixed (broken wire for servo) and it shifts with out the grind.  We checked the brakes, shoes are good but needs a master cylinder.  I am pretty rusty, but was a VW registered Tech long ago.   Figure this a great project for my daughter who will be a sophomore and a driver this coming September.   

Offline volkenstein

Re: '68 Autostick restoration
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2010, 05:02 »
Welcome to the lunatic fringe to you both!

Nice looking beast, that colour is somewhat unique!

Regards
Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

Offline Hollis

« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2010, 17:45 »
Thank you,  Daughter fell in love with it.  Part is the headlamp visors which looks like eyebrows.   We are slowly making headway.  Engine and tranny is very good.   I had to fix the master cylinder, adjust carb linkage (less than 75% throttle),  Rebuild the wiper motor,  New tires are on, replace missing license plate light assy.    Now it is almost all inside work.   

I was pretty please to find out, most parts are easy to come by.   Depending on how well this project goes, might be nice to take on a few more resurrection projects.   IMHO, it is nice to see old things still being used.   Will be going to a auction to look at some oldies.  I am going with a friend who is a very very good mechanic, but tend to do old British stuff now. 

If this is contagious, the heck with anything new, just pick up old bugs and restore them.   Be nice to find a old type II, window version.     I still need to play with the autostick shift.  Seems to shift hard sometimes. 

Offline Bookwus

« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2010, 03:25 »
Hiya Hollis,

If this is contagious, the heck with anything new, just pick up old bugs and restore them.   Be nice to find a old type II, window version.     I still need to play with the autostick shift.

Looks like at least one more person has picked up the "disease"!   ;)
Mike

1970 AS Bug

Offline Hollis

« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2010, 18:22 »
Grettings,

Looks like we are about to tackle the interior.  That also includes a new stereo. 

Offline WPD

• coxautomatic.com
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2011, 00:03 »
Do you restore the engine too? :-[

anything