Author Topic: Pictures of my BAJA AutoStick (work in progress)  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Ritestuf

Pictures of my BAJA AutoStick (work in progress)
« on: 02 November 2011, 13:31 »
Just got it running and the gears are working but it does NOT take off fast in forward gear.  In reverse it takes off real fast.  Have not had time to spend on it but I'm guessing the torq converter is bad.  Not sure where to purchase one either.  Could be the clutch I should probably to a stall test next.  Thought someone might enjoy the photos.  It's not every day you see a BAJA AutoStick!

Offline CarlIseminger

Re: Pictures of my BAJA AutoStick (work in progress)
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2011, 18:53 »
By what do you mean "fast?"  Reverse gear is geared so that it takes very little throttle to make the car "move".  In my bug, Low range isn't even as "quick" as reverse it (in my mind).  Auto sticks were not known for their speed at take off.

Offline Ritestuf

« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2011, 18:08 »
In reverse you can punch the throttle for a couple seconds and your moving pretty darn quick just in the wrong direction.  In any forward gear it takes a little bit to get going and I cannot get it over 50MPH.  I've stopped messing around with it befor a mess something up (work in progress).  I need to get the ATF and VACUUM tanks properly mounted in the back of the car and replace some of the aged hoses.  Then begin working on the engine to make certain its running properly.  Oh and of course add a set of dual webbers to an autostick..LOL!  This BAJA is being built for street use and the occasional field or easy going sand dune.  It's not intented to be going air born or through thick mud.  I doubt the autostick technology would hold up well to that kind of abuse.

I'll keep posting pictures as this junk yard vehicle regains new life as a street BAJA bug.

Offline Ritestuf

« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2011, 18:14 »
Another photo.

Offline volkenstein

« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2011, 01:59 »
Ritestuff,
             Hmmm..interesting beastie! Why not make use of the barwork for an ATF reservoir and vac source. Stall test by all means, just flash up to the speed briefly and don't hold it there!!

What year is the trans? I would imagine an early box would be a little better at handling the big tyres vs a late one. 4.375 vs 4.125 final drive gearing.

Regards
Volkenstein.
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

Offline CarlIseminger

« Reply #5 on: 10 November 2011, 18:59 »
I hadn't looked at the pictures until today.  Love the look.  And an autostick to boot!

I am wondering if the gearing of the transmission and the larger tires are making it "slow" and not wanting to go over 50MPH?

Low range is equivilant to 2nd gear, and Range 1 is = to 3rd, so I bet with those larger tires, it just doesn't have the oomph to move it faster.

But I can see the advantage of having an autostick when out in the sand or mudding!   8)

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2011, 09:35 »

HI
the autostick transmission was used in  rally cars a few years ago...
the driver was a paraplegic and eventually the engine was made larger with dual carbies etc
and the differential was locked...  the 180mm clutch did the job [although a heavy duty puck clutch]
Here is a photo... of a 1303S ... He also used Non super beetles...
My autostick 1600 single port 1968 beetle goes really well.... [getting better and better]
the SVDA Bosch distributor made the biggest difference...
I did have a Hi Power electronic ignition system a couple of years ago which also made a big difference
I will have to make another one of those... I still have a kit...
so, a CD high voltage ignition system is also great... [capacitor discharge] or similar..

cheers

LEE in Australia

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug