1973 Beetle

Started by disneysauto, 27 November 2011, 06:19

Previous topic - Next topic

disneysauto

Here is my first go at an autostick Bug. We rescued this bug for $400. I will be looking around this site for help cause the bug runs great ,but will not go into gear. It acts like it wants to go into gear but ends up grinding really bad.

disneysauto

Back of Bug. Has rust but the heater channels for the most part are solid!

autonewbie

I am no expert but there are several VERY knowledgeable folks on here who can give you good guidance.
My autostick has caused me zero problems but I am sure my turn will come.
Generally speaking the autostick is a regular vw transmission that is shifted with vacuum by the vacuum servo located on the outside of the transmission. The vacuum servo is electrically controlled by the contact points located at the bottom of the shifter, and the control valve that is mounted in the engine compartment on the firewall.
Make sure all your vacuum lines are connected to the correct carb port. This is a common error.
Make sure the vacuum servo is working correctly and does not have a tear in the rubber diaphram.
If you scroll this site there are many pictures of the parts in question and several descriptions of how to test these items.
Good luck and don't believe the gossip that autosticks are unreliable or hard to keep running. They are simple once you see how they work.
By the way, you need to post your technical questions on the technical page of this forum.
Good luck!!
When I  was 15 I wanted a Ghia....It only took me 47 years to get one!   1970 Karmann Ghia Autostick.

disneysauto

Quote from: autonewbie on 28 November 2011, 05:35
I am no expert but there are several VERY knowledgeable folks on here who can give you good guidance.
My autostick has caused me zero problems but I am sure my turn will come.
Generally speaking the autostick is a regular vw transmission that is shifted with vacuum by the vacuum servo located on the outside of the transmission. The vacuum servo is electrically controlled by the contact points located at the bottom of the shifter, and the control valve that is mounted in the engine compartment on the firewall.
Make sure all your vacuum lines are connected to the correct carb port. This is a common error.
Make sure the vacuum servo is working correctly and does not have a tear in the rubber diaphram.
If you scroll this site there are many pictures of the parts in question and several descriptions of how to test these items.
Good luck and don't believe the gossip that autosticks are unreliable or hard to keep running. They are simple once you see how they work.
By the way, you need to post your technical questions on the technical page of this forum.
Good luck!!

Thanks for the post! I'm really excited to make this work. I've read through the forums in here and have decided first things first, replace all the 12mm vacuum lines. ;)

68autobug

Quote from: disneysauto on 27 November 2011, 06:19
Here is my first go at an autostick Bug. We rescued this bug for $400. I will be looking around this site for help cause the bug runs great ,but will not go into gear. It acts like it wants to go into gear but ends up grinding really bad.

Hi
yes, first up, replace all 12mm vacuum hoses..
I use- powerflex usa made air hose- 12.3mm id..
its a high pressure hose and works with vacuum great..
its used on tractor/trucks...
once you have replaced all those hoses plus the small vacuum hose on the control valve to carburetor..
it will tell you that the problem is somewhere else...
or.. You will be able to shift into gear..
if you lift the mat/carpet up You will see a wire going to the gear shifter
make sure its not broken off...
any problems just ask....

Lee
-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug