Author Topic: Meet Oscar .  (Read 12894 times)

Offline volkenstein

Re: Meet Oscar .
« Reply #15 on: 13 December 2011, 11:00 »
Hmmm,
          Looks like a '70 or '71 standard to me :o . It's got the engine lid of either one of those two models, two colour tombstones like I have ('72 they introduced reversing lights here in OZ) and I *think* that bonnet isn't as "fat" as a Superbeetle.

What do the VIN numbers say? They are under the back seat on the trans tunnel just in front of the gear coupling inspection plate FYI.

Open the bonnet and tell us whether the spare tyre is upright or lying flat! that'll be another clue...

Regards
Volkenstein
'71 RHD A-S Super - "Klaus"

Offline scoobydoo

« Reply #16 on: 13 December 2011, 18:10 »
Well i went down to get my crank, heads and case back on Monday  :D Unfortunately the heads were cracked so had to get new ones but the crank came back all re ground and the case is now line bored ;D ;D. Next i am going to clean up the case properly and respray it but i guess this wont happen untill the new year now as Christmas has take over the house now  ::).........

Thanks for looking

Offline scoobydoo

« Reply #17 on: 15 December 2011, 02:36 »
Hmmm,
          Looks like a '70 or '71 standard to me :o . It's got the engine lid of either one of those two models, two colour tombstones like I have ('72 they introduced reversing lights here in OZ) and I *think* that bonnet isn't as "fat" as a Superbeetle.

What do the VIN numbers say? They are under the back seat on the trans tunnel just in front of the gear coupling inspection plate FYI.

Open the bonnet and tell us whether the spare tyre is upright or lying flat! that'll be another clue...

Regards
Volkenstein

Hey Volkenstein ,

Thanks for your reply , the spare tyre is upright , and i am now of the understanding that the car is a "standerd" beetle.
thanks for your help.

Roger

Offline vdub11

« Reply #18 on: 01 January 2012, 14:09 »
Over here in the u.s. it goes like this: vw made standard beetles (1300-beam and flat windsheild) all the way up to and including 73. In 71 the super beetle was introduced (1302- macpherson strut and flat windshield) that only lasted two years. In 73 the super beetle (1303) kept the struts and got the curved windshield. The curved windshield and struts stayed for good after 73 as there were no standard (1300) beetles offered in 74-later.....that being said, my first aircooled was a 73 standard beetle w a flat windshield and every shop and mechanic told me I had some crazy mixed up bug that was a 72 w a 73 engine and 73 interior, I finally found a old timer vw mechanic who explained what vw did. All the numbers matched and it was a true 73 standard :)

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
« Reply #19 on: 04 January 2012, 07:54 »

HI
it looks like I got the model wrong.. Just had another look at the pic, and it is hard to pick with those early US bumpers on it.
although, if I had put a pic of a superbug next to it I probably would have picked it..
as the Superbug did have a Bulging bonnet..
The autosticks had the IRS rear end before the supers used it...lol
very nice looking beetle.  I do like the early bumpers look..

cheers

Lee in Australia

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Offline scoobydoo

« Reply #20 on: 07 January 2012, 20:40 »
Hope you all had a great Christmas and wishing you all a fantastic New Year !!!!  ;D ;D ;D
Ok so heres the update i finished cleaning the engine case and decided i would never be able to get it back as clean as i truly wanted it so decided to spray it  ;D ;D ;D  I used an engine spray and also an engine lacquer so all should be fine ....

BELOW IS A BEFORE SHOT .

I think you will agree a huge difference  ;D
also just ordered my pistons and barrels ...Mahle 1600's they arrive Monday  8) 8) 8).... so i guess the rebuild will be happening very soon  ;D ;D ;D
Thanks for looking guys .....

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: 08 January 2012, 01:29 »

EXCELLENT WORK..

and My favorite engine color... lol

makes it easier to keep clean too..

cheers

Lee in Australia

-1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

Offline scoobydoo

« Reply #22 on: 08 January 2012, 18:42 »
Thanks Lee  ;D ;D ;D your comments are much appreciated

Me too i love red engines , they look mean !!!!! 8) 8)

Take care

Roger

Offline scoobydoo

« Reply #23 on: 20 January 2012, 23:53 »
Well this is my Saturday afternoon planned out , should be fun . ;D ;D ;D

Offline scoobydoo

« Reply #24 on: 21 January 2012, 23:34 »
well all went great got the case closed today and all movement is nice and smooth  ;D ;D ;D next week i will do the pistons, barrels and heads .

Thanks for looking
 ;)

Offline scoobydoo

« Reply #25 on: 21 January 2012, 23:39 »
Oh forgot to add all nuts on case torqued to 30 ft lbs for anyone who wants to know and in an even format i.e 2 centre ones first then across the case to insure the case is closed evenly .
Also nuts on the con rods to 30ft lbs

;)

Offline scoobydoo

« Reply #26 on: 10 February 2012, 00:28 »
Ok heres a photo update for you guys let me know what you think .

I took the manifolds, the alternator  stand and the oil cooler stand to get soda blasted and they turned out really good . very happy with the result .

Thanks for looking .

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: 05 March 2012, 11:26 »

Hi
EXCELLENT WORK..
and it looks great...
I've never ever split My engine...
had the barrels and heads off etc...
I do have a spare engine I should pull apart one day...

Firstly painting Your engine, everything Must be perfectly clean [as You know]
and its a lot easier to keep clean and looks better anyway..

looks like You know what You are doing...

cheers

LEE in Australia

Offline scoobydoo

« Reply #28 on: 17 July 2012, 23:40 »
ok heres an update guys ,

Today i went over to a friends house and we put together the rest of the engine  ;D ;D its now ready to go in yey !!!!! ;D ;D ;D

we managed to make a tool to hold the flex plate in place while we torqued up the gland nut ( i will post pics of it another time ) it was basically an old oil pump cover with an extra hole drilled into it and we screwed it in to the engine case and into the flex plate , a very crude tool but it did the job just fine.
Below are some pics of the engine as it stands , now all i have to do is work out how i am going to get it in to the car  :-\

But i cant wait to hear her start up , will keep you posted .
Thanks for reading guys

« Last Edit: 18 July 2012, 00:01 by scoobydoo »

Offline scoobydoo

« Reply #29 on: 19 July 2012, 11:30 »
YEY !!!!! the engine went back in yesterday , WHAT A JOB !!!!!! :o  Well you certainly live and learn with these cars !! When we tried to put the engine back in first i had the torque converter already attached to the flexplate and no matter how hard we pushed it would just not go in , it was about 1/2 an inch short of us getting the nut on to the thread  >:(......SOOOOO we decided to take it back out and place the torque converter first the attach the flexplate through the access windows in the bell housing , and it went in great . HALLELUJAH !!!!!!! ;D

So i guess that the way it needs to be done  Torque convertor first then engine in . You live and learn  ;D

HEre are some pics hope you enjoy

me replacing the rubber engine bay seals (another nightmare job )

engine in place  ;D ;D ;D

On Saturday i plan to start it up just need to connect all the electrics and finishing touches and then hear the fruits of my labour ....... ;D

Will keep you all updated thanks for reading

anything