Author Topic: Meet Oscar .  (Read 12892 times)

Offline scoobydoo

Meet Oscar .
« on: 05 December 2011, 23:46 »
Hey guys , thought i would start a thread of my '72 Semi auto has a bit of work to do but i am looking forward to it all , and with your help it should be on the road again soon . poor thing has been neglected for a while  :(........so here he is at the moment  >>>>>> MEET OSCAR !!!

Ok so when i picked him up the engine was seized and i started surgery immediately......

He came with a box of bits that i had to sort through to see if all was there :

As mentioned in a previous thread what i found inside the cylinders what shocking  :o

Yes there was wood screws and all types of other metal objects in there ....seems like the previous owner was a victim of some SABOTAGE!!!

« Last Edit: 06 December 2011, 12:08 by scoobydoo »

Offline scoobydoo

Re: Meet Oscar .
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2011, 23:50 »
After finding these things i needed to split the case to see the extent on the damage inside ....

I found that the middle bearing was seized and now i will need to re grind the crank shaft and replace all the main bearings also going to clean out all the main oil ways .

Tomorrow i will clean the case and check for any cracks or warping  . Hopefully all will be well and i can use the same case so the numbers match .....
« Last Edit: 06 December 2011, 12:10 by scoobydoo »

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
Re: Meet Oscar . anyone see the pics??? LEE
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2011, 09:24 »
anyone else see any pics on here????

they say they have be deleted by photobucket when I look

can You see them????

Lee

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Offline scoobydoo

« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2011, 12:11 »
Hi Lee , You should be able to see the pics now . ;D
Hopefully !

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
Re: Meet Oscar . photos back
« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2011, 13:22 »

Yes the Photos are BACK

never ever seen things like that in an engine before...YIKES

I see You are in the UK... hence the 1300 twin port engine...
which were common in Europe..

only 1600 in most countries outside Europe..

LEE

LEE
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

Offline disneysauto

« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2011, 08:45 »
Very very nice! ;D

Offline autonewbie

« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2011, 03:32 »
I would give my left nut to have your knowledge and skill to disassemble and rebuild a VW engine. I get the shakes just looking at all those parts on the ground.
Good luck with your project and I hope it turns out exactly as you want.
When I  was 15 I wanted a Ghia....It only took me 47 years to get one!   1970 Karmann Ghia Autostick.

Offline scoobydoo

« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2011, 17:49 »
I would give my left nut to have your knowledge and skill to disassemble and rebuild a VW engine. I get the shakes just looking at all those parts on the ground.
Good luck with your project and I hope it turns out exactly as you want.

Thats a great  compliment thank you ! , honestly this is the first engine i have done before this i only new where to put the gas and how to drive it , but with the help of forums, books and good ol' youtube i now believe anyone who truly wants to do it can. give it a go its really fun  ;D ;D ;D

Offline scoobydoo

« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2011, 17:57 »
ok so heres an update .....I started to clean the case to see if there was any damage i.e cracks warps etc and all is good so i CAN have my numbers matching .
this was fun  :o

After cleaning (not yet fully done  ::) )  I already new that i would need the crank shaft regrinding  so i took the case, the crank and the 2 heads down to the machine shop .They said the case  would need a line bore too. So now i have left all the parts there to have the work done , Should be Monday when i get them back .  Also the heads are going to be reconditioned and bored for the 1600 barrels. Until then i am going to start cleaning the manifolds, petrol pump and carb that should keep me busy until then.......

Offline scoobydoo

« Reply #9 on: 10 December 2011, 18:29 »
Hey was wondering if anyone can help me as to what model Oscar is ; I am looking to get a new rear wing and want to know if it is a 1302 or a 1303 wing i need to get or maybe none of those , i also need a new front valance but don't know which one to  get i see some have holes in  ???  . you can see the rear wing  and front valance from the top pics i posted .
Many thanks for your help

Roger
« Last Edit: 10 December 2011, 20:13 by scoobydoo »

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
Re: Meet Oscar . 1302S Superbug
« Reply #10 on: 10 December 2011, 20:43 »

Hi
Yes Your Beetle is a 1302S Super beetle....

cheers

LEE

Offline scoobydoo

Re: Meet Oscar . 1302S Superbug
« Reply #11 on: 10 December 2011, 22:06 »

Hi
Yes Your Beetle is a 1302S Super beetle....

cheers

LEE

Hi Lee thanks for the reply .  I have been asking on some other forums  and they are saying its a standered beetle ??? but you seem to know semi auto stuff better then them .What makes you say that it is a 1302s super beetle and what is the difference ?  Thanks my friend .

Offline autonewbie

« Reply #12 on: 11 December 2011, 04:41 »
I thought super beetles had a curved windshield. Your windshield looks flat to me. In the USA flat equals standard beetle. Unless there is an exception I am not aware of. Please correct me if that is the case here.
When I  was 15 I wanted a Ghia....It only took me 47 years to get one!   1970 Karmann Ghia Autostick.

Offline FlamingChris

« Reply #13 on: 12 December 2011, 18:53 »
I always thought:

Mcpherson strut and flat windscreen = 1302
Mcpherson strut and curved windscreen = 1303
Beam and flat windscreen = 1300

Offline autonewbie

« Reply #14 on: 13 December 2011, 01:54 »
You may very well be right. I know from nothing about struts etc. I only heard/read about curved vs. flat windshields. I should have know it couldn't be as simple as that.
Thanks for the update!

anything