Author Topic: Type3 auto into a Beetle  (Read 8118 times)

Offline nbturbo

Type3 auto into a Beetle
« on: 31 May 2007, 02:48 »
For those interested-I have fitted a full auto from a Type3 into an Oval Beetle.Have had the auto overhauled and beefed up with the clutch hubs machined to take extra discs,torque convertor modified,and the line pressures increased.I have a 2.7lt Type4 bolted to it,so needed to have it beefed up for the much higher torque it will need to handle.I have used everything from a Type3-gearshift assembly,gear change cable,drive shafts and all the rear suspension.Fitting it into the pan was a fairly big job-I used the bits from 2 pans.Had to shift the frame horns out 50mm each side,so used the donor ones cut longer,and grafted them around the stubs of what I left of the originals.Made a new rear engine support and engine mounting system.Cut into the torsion bar tube to make the new front mount so the the whole lot could come forward enough for the motor to fit properly into the engine bay and seal up.

Offline Bookwus

Re: Type3 auto into a Beetle
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2007, 17:15 »
Hiya nt,

Thanks a million for posting those pictures!

Every once in a while we hear about a fully automatic Type 3 tranny being installed in a Type 1.  It is just excellent to actually see the installation.  If you have anymore pictures, I, for one, would really like to take a look.

Thanks again!
Mike

1970 AS Bug

Offline nbturbo

« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2007, 09:50 »
A bit more to the story.I first converted the pan to IRS and then tried to fit the auto between the frame horns.No go,so started to trim the inside edges until it fitted at which point there was nothing left to support the motor/trans.Decided to try using some horns from another pan and shifting them out further each side.After measuring and checking everything-50mm each side would allow the auto to fit and still be able to get the rear trailing arms in and out.Next I cut into the torsion bar tube about 20mm and replated it-this allowed the trans far enough forward to get the motor to seal in the bay,and to fabricate a front mounting system(used spring shackle bushes from a 4X4 Toyota front springs)I cut the rear part off a spare body I had and positioned it over the back of the pan so I could check fitment of everything.Used a spare 1600 Type1 motor to line everything up.I cut the inside edge of the frame horns open and welded in strengthening plates then closed it all up and groung everything smooth.Where the frame horns are welded back on to the torsion bar tube-I have heavily gusseted everything so it will be able to take everything I can throw at it.Made up a Kafer Brace to tie the rear mount to the shock towers.Fitted up the gear change cable to the trans and cut open the tunnel about where it ended-then fabricated a small frame for the shifter to bolt on to-then welded the frame to the pan and closed it all up and ground out the welds for the factory smooth look.While I had the pan open with big hole-I ran 10mm and 8mm steel fuel lines for the fuel injection that was going to be fitted later(it's actually all fitted-in fact just got it running about an hour ago-sweet)-10 for supply and 8 for return.I ripped the clutch and original fuel pipe out of the pan and bought the hand brake tubes out on top of the frame horns-it was difficult to work out how long to make them and get them out in the original position.It all worked out OK-just had to make 2 extensions 80mm long with a good lead in the tubes so they can never come out.The pedal assembly is everything from a Type3 and it all just bolts in as original.Couldn't find a new rubber for the brake pedal-so found one from a Mitsubishi Magna at the wrecker that's a perfect fit.The reverse light and neutral start switch at the gear shifter are plastic and very fragile-so I pulled all the shifter apart and cleaned and greased everything-and made up a small aluminium plate to strengthen up the whole side of the switch-will never give any trouble now.Put plenty of petrolium jelley on the brass slides-will last forever.I fitted a relay for reverse lights and starting-so will never have a lot of current going thru the switches.Wired up the indicator lights for the shifter to the dash light circuit,so they dim the same as the speedo lights.

Offline nbturbo

« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2007, 09:58 »
Pics
« Last Edit: 26 June 2007, 10:00 by nbturbo »

Offline nbturbo

« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2007, 10:06 »
more-the brackets etc that are cad plated are the new engine mounts,modified dip stick tube and the new rear hanger and Kafer bars.

Offline nbturbo

« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2007, 10:19 »
Fitted up the new Throttle Bodies for the injection-had to make new throttle rods and also made a bracket to mount a spring loaded switch for the electric kickdwn for the auto.The auto also uses manifold vacuum for the throttle pressure switch-so drilled and tapped the 4 manifold sections and run all four hoses for vacuum into a common collector and run this hose to the trans modulator and also mounted the MAP sensor for the injection just below the starter-and the fuel pressure reg is on the other side of the trans-so got the 3 things that need vacuum close together.

Offline Bookwus

« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2007, 21:15 »
Hiya nt,

Excellent pictures!

Bjorn should (with your permission) make these a permanent  feature on the site.  The question of full automatic fitment to a Type 1 comes up regularly.  This would be a terrific resource.  Thanks for taking the time and trouble to fill us in.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2007, 16:45 »

Yes many thanks for the pics and the story etc...
Much appreciated...
and it now does look feasible...

thanks again

Lee  -  Scone - NSW - Australia

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Offline DanB

« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2011, 04:14 »
normally I don't usually like bumping posts that are quite old ( i run a forum for members of my old high school and know all about it ) and I did note the the
Quote from: SMF 1.1.3 Old Post Warning
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

and it might benefit the VWAR community as a whole, but the images do not load on my computer. they show up as blotches of bright colors without a picture in the center. Is this problem mine or the hosting provider?

Offline 68autobug

• Global Moderator
  • 68AutoBug - Lee in Australia
    • My 1968 Autostick Beetle
Re: Type 3 auto into a Beetle
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2011, 06:47 »

HI  Dan ,

hopefully its a problem Your end... lol

where have You posted Your pics??

I have albums on - community.webshots.com

and just select size and click and move the pic using "post into a forum"  button..

not sure whether this helps or not...
sounds like you are seeing one or more VERY LARGE pixels of color????

but I'm no expert...

try sending one of Your pics to Me...

LEE

-- Helping keep Autostick beetles on the road --
   -1968 Silver metallic 1600 single port Beetle - with BOSCH  SVDA and new BROSOL H30/31 carburetor with GENIE Extractor exhaust system with a quiet thunderbird muffler

http://photobucket.com/68autobug

Offline DanB

« Reply #10 on: 09 May 2011, 15:13 »
I should have been more specific. I cannot get the images that are in attached to thread to show up properly. They appear as blobs of color. Sorry for the confusion.

Offline Triker Walt

• First time on street 9/7/11 3:15 P.M.
« Reply #11 on: 09 May 2011, 16:57 »
I'm having the same problem with the pictures.. Not showing any thing legibile

Whats wrong?

Offline CarlIseminger

« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2011, 22:14 »
I wonder if wherever the pics were first posted back in 2007 has since deleted them?  This could be why they aren't showing up today.

Offline DanB

« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2011, 00:29 »
I did track down this thread, which may be of some help.

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=40166