Engine removal / reinstall procedure

Started by bowlingbrad, 20 December 2009, 13:58

Previous topic - Next topic

davebuckholts

Brad, didn't mean to hijack your thread.  Mike, would you move my post to the most approlriate forum, please.

On the engine subject, I really like sp engines for several reasons. They tend to cool better, give a tad more torque. I've run and built both but the sp engines seem to be better all around stock performers.
I have a sp in my wife's 65 bus and we drive the mess out of it w/o any problems for 4 years.  The next engine for her bus will be a nice 1776 SP w/ some baby Dellortos.

I would bet that you would be happy w/ a stock DP 1600 from a reputable vendor.
Did you check out nsracing's feedback in the vendor forum on samba?  Good resource.

bowlingbrad

Dave, please don't take my comment too harshly.  I was just hoping to get some info (and so were you!)

As for nsracing, yes, I have been in contact with Nick.  He seems like a decent guy.

Unfortunately, the wife and I need to redirect some $$ for other things.  That means this project might be on hold until maybe August/September or even next spring.

I will definitely reply to this thread when we feel we can get this project rolling again.  We will just have to deal with a leaky engine for now (along with poor mpg).

Thanks,
Brad

Bookwus

Hiya Brad,

Quote from: bowlingbrad on 28 December 2009, 14:38 ......Unfortunately, the wife and I need to redirect some $$ for other things.  That means this project might be on hold until maybe August/September or even next spring.

Life often does get in the way of plans!

Quote......We will just have to deal with a leaky engine for now (along with poor mpg).........

There could be help for that IF you are willing to put in some "free" labor yourself.  Costs would likely be pretty minimal - probably not more than $50 to pull the engine, do some reasealing and a full tune-up.
Mike

1970 AS Bug

Bookwus

Hiya Dave,

As requested, I moved your picture post over to the General Discussion forum.  It's been retitled to "My Karmann Ghia AutoStick"
Mike

1970 AS Bug

bowlingbrad

Thanks Mike!

I very well might look into that.  MUCH less $$.

Thanks again,
Brad